Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sierra Vista

I should have known a Marriot Inn is going to have a public computer. Nobody is in this lobby to use it, I can sit here for as long as I like.Drove the almost 190 miles (a bit further than Mapquest determined it to be) in 2 and a half hours. I have no idea how fast I was driving since the speedometer on my car is acting up - it showed we were going 140. Lol. Of course, you can do the math and come up with an average : )
Upon arrival my son and I engaged my dad and his wife - Millie - in a couple of hours of conversation before heading out to ………..da ta da taaaaaaa - Tombstone, Arizona. Hadn’t been there since I was a little boy. We ate at the Longhorn Restaurant - a very nice meal indeed. After that, we decided to go into what once once a silver mine. It was quite fascinating, and yes I have pics - but no way to post them until I get home. We went down a flight of 60 stairs they had built just for giving out tours, and then - we got into some pretty tight situations. Mostly had to duck the entire way through there. It was cool, but I don’t really want to give a detailed report of that until I get pics up and then just explain the tour through the pics.
My dad has some pretty bad arthritis in one of his knees and started tipping over several times - decided to stay close and not let him fall over. He just had a stint/s put into his heart not too terribly long ago. We just took our time and mostly stayed behind everyone so we wouldn’t be getting in the way of everyone. Again, it was a fascinating tour and the guide was very knowledgeable and made the tour both entertaining and educational at the same time.
Tomorrow, early, dad and Millie want to go to some caverns whose entrance we saw on the way down here. My dad has always been like this - always going, always touring, always visiting new places or revisiting places he’s already been to.
I left my dogs in the hands of the newer tenant - Mary disappeared after coming home from work yesterday and wasn’t around this morning either. The new guy said he would do it and I said I would give him some money off his next rent payment if he would. That was even more agreeable to him - I can hardly expect tenants to feel like they should be responsible for the owner’s animals if they don’t want to be. Oh, and I didn’t ask, he volunteered. It would cost far more to have someone coming over and feeding them once a day and looking in on them twice a day, so.
I have not been out of town on any kind of trip save runs in the company semi since before my house burned down July, 2007. Very relaxing. I had not expected that. I thought I would be tense and uptight just being away from home. Not at all. The Marriot isn’t a bad perk, either, it’s a pretty darn nice place. My son is currently in the work-out room and plans to visit the pool in a while - heated pool of course.
This little trip is just what the doctor ordered. My only “concern” is I want to be home on Saturday before the NFL games start up for the wild card games. They are hopefully going to be good games, even if my team isn’t playing. That will be next week. Which, Saturday is the planned day of departure, anyway.
That’s it, I don’t want to spend too terribly much time out here as I would like to retire to the bedroom and see what’s on the tube.
Have a great evening/day, be visiting your sites after I get home.ben
edited: I have no idea what I did to my blogspot journal, I went over there and posted this entry to find that it only has that one, single entry and everything was changed. Not sure what I have done? Oh well, here’s the entry, anyway.
Edit 2: I realized my mistake, I made up another blogspot journal under another email account, and entered that account id instead of this one's id. All's well that ends well......

4 comments:

Tristram said...

I've always wanted to visit Tombstone and I think i have a privilege card for Marriots (I have cards for most major chains as I'm in hotels quite a bit)

I'm psyched for the playoffs, who are you backing to win the wildcard games?

BenB said...

HI Tristam:
Umm, Dolphins and Ravens. I'm picking the Dolpins to continue on with the tide of wins behind them giving them momentum to at least go that far.
I have a hard time believing the Chargers are going to beat the Colts - my pick the Colts on that front.
I'm just hoping for GOOD games, much more entertaining than blow-away games were the end score is like what the Steelers did to the Browns the other day: 31-0.
What are your picks in the wildcard games?
ben

Tristram said...

I would like the Dolphins to win but I could see the Ravens doing something in that game.

Colts and Chargers all depends on Peyton I think, if LT is out with a groin strain and Peyton is still firing like he was last 9 games of the regular season, Colts win it but I thought the Colts would win it last time they played the Chargers in the play offs.

Vikings vs Eagles is going to be a tough game but I'm hoping my Vikes being at home will make the difference and pull them through.

I think the Falcons are going to run over the Cardinals though!

Anonymous said...

Geeze, I had my mind full of this death stuff, I forgot about the Cardinals. I'm not a Cardinals fan, at all. I never have been, even though I live in Cardinals country. Even more so the fact that in my house - everyone else is a Cardinals fan except my new tenant who is a Patriots fan. So, just like I always love seeing the Cowboys lost (even sweeter this year, lol), I'm hoping for a total annihilation of the Cardinals, and I'm sure the Falcons have what it takes to pull that off.

I think the Vikings are going to have a tough time against the Eagles - but that should be a VERY good game to watch!
Thanks for your comments concerning the death news.
ben

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...