Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Morning

It's a strange day here.
My now laid-off co-worker isn't here. Kind of eerie - we got along well and worked side-by-side for a couple of years now. I can't imagine what must be going through his head right now.
The change was certainly justified by the lack of numbers at this store - but it's true at all of our stores right now. I just can't help but think he and a million more like him are going to have an awfully difficult time finding a new job. It's getting pretty scary out there.
I'm definitely getting the gears grinding in my brain: what if the same thing happens to me?
Unemployment line would be first order of business, of course.
After that? I don't really want to think about the potential consequences.
But - I do want to get my old car in running order in case the unthinkable happens.
It needs a new battery, a harmonic balancer and some other, minor repairs.

I'm still considering paying off the 401k loan early and getting that money into a savings account where I can access it in case "something" happens. It's only 3 months away until it's paid off - but a lot can happen in the span of 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm definitely moving forward with the stuff I'm doing to try and keep energy bills down this coming summer - which is just around the corner.

I just have this sick feeling in my gut this morning that I can't seem to shake. My mind tends to deal with extreme negativity in terms of news received in ways that are shown outwardly in a physical way.

Well, I'm just going to go about my business today and - eventually get over it.
ben

5 comments:

Fijufic said...

Spooky stuff. We are all feeling the effects. I would say start packing a parachute and look for other opportunities. Your friend must be crushed.

I'll pray for you brother.

Bobby

Anonymous said...

I'm betting it was a very difficult morning this morning for your friend.

Fin said...

The ability to put one foot in front of the other, and take positive steps in accordance with reality even when you are filled with doubts and even fears is a very important skill. I see many people on-line doing the same thing with varying levels of success. As I have said before, your personal work ethic has come home to roost in a good way.

Re energy useage: best to get Mary 'onboard' with the idea, or else lock the thermostat!

Dorrie said...

now, if your company can no longer transport stuff, then other companies no longer RECEIVE stuff... it's a vicious circle. I like to think you are indispensible..... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Bobby: My parachute has holes in it - looking for the patches. Thanks for the prayers.

Shannon: Even more so for my boss, who was visibly unnerved by having to give him the bad news.

Fin: Thank you - I do try to work my @$$ off at work, keep learning and make myself as useful as possible. Mary has agreed to either not touch the thermostat or call me first before doing anything on there.

dorrie: This company cannot operate without truck drivers. It would not work to try and hire a service to do it for them, because they would have to be available at a moment's notice and would have to have drivers that will treat the customer the way our company wants them treated - not necessarily a plethora of drivers like that around. My problem - I make more than the other drivers so - well I just won't think about it that way.
ben

 Thursday mid-morning No point leaving here until around 10:00 am.  The load time is 1 and I can show up maybe an hour early without them ge...