Monday, April 6, 2009

Trepidation

I was at Subway today - a frequent haunt for me. I have done away with a lot of stuff as far as excesses in my life - I have not done away with the trips to Subway to get a salad. I told the manager that my coworker had been laid off. She said wow - and then commented how he had told her that he was going around submitting resumes all over the place for part-time work. Further stated that he didn't want management to know about it.

Odd. When I decided that I was going to look for a second job, I told management first. "Is there a problem with me looking and maybe finding a part-time job to supplement my income?" - after I lost my OT hours. Nope. Even more odd, to me, because he never said nothing to me about it. We talked a lot about everything.

Uhhh, whatever. The company is desperately looking to find a way to keep the stores open. They have tried to re-negotiate the lease at my branch - the result was an offer of lessor monthly rent payments. Don't know that the offer is enough. Don't know that, in these times, landlords of warehouses should be getting to strict about it. They're going to have to pay the penalty as everyone else is. It was a fairly substantial amount of reduced rent - but not as much as our company demanded. The point? If it isn't low enough, talk about moving to a different building somewhere.

Now, that doesn't bother me greatly - excepting the fact of the amount of material that is sitting at our yard. To move ALL of that? I dunno - 20 truckloads at least. Yes - that's at least 20, 48-foot flatbed trailer-loads loaded to the gills with material. If we have to move, we have to move, I'm in for the game. My only statement was: I hope we have help.

Ummm, I'm done. I did not sleep well last night. I went to bed at 8:30 only to wake up at 10:30. I woke up several times during the night - and - it's just not fun trying to sleep with a brainful of junk that needs to be unloaded somewhere.
I'm hoping I can stay awake this evening for today's episode of 24.

I hope you all are doing - as well as you can depending on your circumstances.
G'nite.
ben

4 comments:

Fijufic said...

Everyone reacts to the stress of job loss differently. I'm out of my mind and could easily find myself in another industry.

Seriously stressful times.

Bobby

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I knokw you're going through earthly hell with all of this. I don't have any answers, I just go to work every day and hope I don't get the bad news.
ben

becomingkate said...

I hope they don't lay you off either. I've got my fingers crossed!

BenB said...

Thanks Kate - I hope I'm safe for at least a little while!
ben

 Thursday morning It’s almost 9:00 am and they are just starting on finding parts after calling them to see where they’re at with this. They...