Monday, May 4, 2009

Bad News

My company - at our AZ branches anyways - just made a major announcement that is going affect me severely: "Reduced Schedules". Starting today, I am facing another $460 per month loss in wages.
They are taking away 5 hours per week from all hourly associates.

I have no idea how I am going to jump over this hurdle and land on my feet.

My mind, after reading this email sent out to everyone, immediately went into survival mode.

I have no clue.

I have cut most things out of my life that can be cut.

Lose the car?
Go bankrupt?
I'll do anything to save my house. Everything else can go to the pot.

I even had this idea from a few months ago of renting out my master bedroom and moving in with my son in his rather small bedroom.

He would hate it. I wouldn't much care for it either, but - again - when it comes to survival, I am willing to do things that many people are not. My son - could stay at his mother's if he didn't like it. I suppose he could just sleep out on the couch in the living room as well - he likes doing that anyway.

I have very few options at this point. Having 3 tenants from this point forth is a given. Until this thing clears up, anyway.

I am not defeated, gloomy or depressed. Survival mode doesn't do that to me, it makes me much more sharper focused, actually. This kind of news DOES have it's effects on me, there is no doubt. Give me a few days or a week or so and I will adjust to it, today? I'm just going to be in automatic mode.

There are no jobs out there to be had - in thinking of getting a second, part-time job, a thing I already tried to acquire a while back and got nothing but a bite from the Phoenix Zoo for a $7.25 per hour job. I'm thinking I could do pizza delivery for awhile - if even that stuff is doing anything right now.

I have a lot to think about.

Hope you all have a great day - I'm not sure how mine's going to go after this.
ben

13 comments:

Pastor Larry said...

Is the truck yours or theirs?
Are you looking for a new job?
Hang in there I am praying for you.

Dorrie said...

if they reduce hours, then any time over that is "overtime" isn't it? When I read your entries about all the running around you do, and you being the only driver, I would think you'd get lots of overtime... unless they leave your job as is.

Fijufic said...

This is getting crazier by the minute. Can you cut back on your income tax withholding to ease the burden if you are making less and presumably not claiming the income from the tenants?

in other words do a tax return based on estimates and try to zero out nay potential refund with increased cash flow now on each check.

It is an option. Do you get paid every 2 weeks? if so I'll bet you are paying way too much to uncle same each time.

becomingkate said...

Some people on my street are making an extra $250/month doing paper routes or delivering flyers. It's a mother and daughter, 11, that do it. The dad drives a taxi. One of my customers took a part time job at Home Depot, his FT gig is doing cabinetry. Mine is at the clothing store.
I'm so sorry! I know how much that would effect my own budget, and that sucks. Do you have vacation pay forthcoming? We usually have that paid out in June.
Good luck! *hugs*

yackydoodle said...

you may be surprised how much pizza delivery guys make in some places.....hang tough

BenB said...

Pastor: No, not my truck - I am a company driver. Haven't decided on whether to look for a new job or not, I'm fairly much decided that it's basically a waste of time to look for a job right now - but - I will have to pray on that one.

Bobby: Thank you. I would not have even thought of it. I don't know WHY I wouldn't have, I usually can think of all of the things that will cut out expenses or save money. I added an exemption for my withholding today.

Kate: Newspapers are a no-go with me. You have to get up at 2:00 am - get the papers and prepare them - deliver them and then - go to work. I have considered weekend warrior taxi driving and it is still something I might try.
We don't get vacation paid if we don't use it.Thanks for the good wishes and the hugs!

Yacky: I have done pizza delivery - something like 10 years ago. I was making pretty good money with the tips. Don't know how that pans out nowadays or if there are even any jobs out there available.
Thanks.
ben

Anonymous said...

Ben, You might want to think about getting a couple of foster children. It could help you since you are frugal and it would certainly help them. I have a friend and she makes a good bit of money by doing it. She does well because she is a good shopper like you, and it helps her pay her mortgage. Your roommates may have a problem with the background checks though, but you should look into it. You would be great.
Just a thought.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

oh, and that same girl also delivered papers and for a time she only delivered on the weekends, when most people have them delivered-sounds like you have already checked into this though.
Tammy

Fin said...

You are not going to like any of my suggestions, and I don't blame you.

1) Get rid of all the dogs but one small one
2) Get rid of Michael and any others who hang out there
3) Tell your ex-wife that it is time for a reality check on her part, and either she accepts a reduced support payment or you will take your new pay slips to court and she may end up with still less.
4) tell your existing tenants they may be in for a surcharge till things ease up--they can pay it or look elsewhere.

I know you have addressed some of these issues before, and they are not pleasant. So, good luck.

BenB said...

Tammy: I would actually love to have foster children - but the state would require a bedroom for them and I don't have an empty one available at this moment. I have friends that do newspaper routes - but they all do them all week long - I don't know that there are any weekend or possibly Sunday-only routes, I will look into it.
Fin: I already stated that the dogs are not going anywhere unless it comes to the absolute end of it. I don't think I need to say ANYTHING more about that particular scenario, I don't feel myself doing something "bad" by keeping them, so let's just let this go, for now anyway, thanks.
Getting "rid" of Michael makes him sound like some sort of disease - maybe the swine flu - a thing to be terminated.
The ex-wife, unfortunately, has something going on her side: a court system that is totally biased against the male gender when it comes to child support.
A surcharge for summer electric bills is, really, the only thing that I can agree with you on concerning this subject.
ben

Unknown said...

anonymous bag replica high quality see best replica bags Recommended Reading replica designer backpacks

thebeath said...

informative post Discover More Here read official source why not look here pop over to this web-site

Anonymous said...

jetez un coup d'œil sur le site ici Dolabuy Chrome-Hearts parcourez ici sacs à dos de créateurs de répliques consultez-le sacs répliques hautes

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...