Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday

Sooooooo, never a day in paradise around here. Well, I have good days, no doubting that, but with tenants?..........never know what's coming next.

The latest round: The newer tenant believes that Mary is smoking meth in her bedroom. She says that Mary is up all hours of the night and then goes to work all day long, and then home, up all hours of the night. Further, that her dog starts, well, this is an excerpt: "my dog waking me in the middle of the night crying to get out of the room, literally trying to go out the window from what ever is coming in here is really becoming untenable. I then must proceed to close the vent, block it with towels AND a container, crack my window and aim the fan for exhaust rather than cooling purposes."

First off, I put nothing past Mary. Nothing.

Second, this tenant has complained about this before, I have asked her several times to come wake me up whenever it happens so I can go bang on Mary's door and confront her. I know Mary well enough that if I were to confront her on this, she would deny it and that would be the end of that. I could request that she takes a drug test - like within the hour that I ask her to take it - but I cannot force her to do that, either. I could also do a test off the walls in her room - but I have to legally gain access to her room to do so.

So, unless the newer tenant comes wakes me up when the alleged activity is occuring, there is absolutely nothing that I can do about it. She gave me her notice via email today, I have already placed an ad on Craigslist for another tenant.

I responded to her email that I would appreciate it if, regardless if she's leaving or not, that she comes wake me up when this s*** is going on, if it is indeed going on, so I can get it OUT of here. I will not tolerate Mary doing drugs in my house - but you have to be able to certify that it's actually going on.

Look, I went through all kinds of crap with Mary before - but that was about the rent. She has paid her rent, on time - every time - since the court hearing. Now, if she really IS doing drugs in here, rent takes a nosedive on the priority list.

Anyway.........if the newer tenant doesn't write me back, I will definitely address her when she comes home today. I have to get this issue settled , that's all I'm saying.

I have plenty more to say - but this little deal here has me going.
C'ya later.
ben

4 comments:

Fijufic said...

You know she is doing it... proving it is difficult. Can you terminate her lease at any time Ben?

Bobby

BenB said...

If you can prove a person is breaking the law, then you can get them out immediately.

I can give anyone a 30-day notice regardless. It simply says your presence is no longer needed here, thanks for playing, buh-bye. I want to have an opportunity, however, to confront her while she is doing it first.
ben

Fin said...

Seems like we have been exactly here before.

If she is using, she is likely addicted and is not going to quit anytime soon. You KNOW she will lie about it.

Having the rent paid promptly certainly must makes things easier on you however.

BenB said...

Fin:
If she is using - and I am not going to sit here and say it isn't possible, definitely, she could be using - it's because she came into money with the 401k loan. The newer tenant basically stated she was tweaking (using) all weekend long. I could only respond that I wish she would have come and got me - sleeping or not - when she suspected such. I have no problems knocking on the door of a person living in a bedroom in my home that I suspect is doing something illegal. Drugs - I have a definitive hatred for, a person using them at the age of 49 years? Need I say it?
Rent is going to take second place to doing what's right at this point. Mary will have to do a drug test to satisfy my need to dismiss these rather continuous accusations that she's a meth user coming from at least 4 different people now.
Karen - the lady that lived here for a month and then bought her own place - has the most credence with me in this chain of accusations. I think I wrote about that in my blog.
I guess I find it amazing that she has the gall to do it INSIDE of my house.
ben

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...