Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday..........

..........already?!!
A slow day today at work in terms of deliveries. Only one place. I spent much of the day doing much-needed cleanup work around the warehouse and the yard. We have our bi-annual inventory in - 2 weeks I think - we're just getting everything ready. I do precounts on crates and pallets of stuff that are on high shelfs - and label them with a count so they don't have to pull it down. The CEO of our company is coming to town next month - don't know that he'll actually show up to our branch, but I would definitely like to meet him in person. I had an email exchange with him when my house burned down - he and his family are responsible for getting the company's Family Fund started. It's a fund that employees can apply for if they are in some serious financial distress. I can imagine right now they may be getting inundated with requests.

Anyway, that fund gave me 5k when my house burned down. It was a lifesaver. I had sent the CEO a thank you note - at that time, the fund had JUST started and I wanted him to know how much it was appreciated and how helpful it was in a serious moment of need.

DirectTV came through - they did send the new box and the newest tenant now has Satellite in his bedroom. Thank you, for once at least, Direct TV!!

Fry's - amazing. A vice-president of some department had called me - last week was it? I told him my concerns with the recurrent theme of not having enough of certain products, well, in fact, not having ANY of a certain - sale-priced product. We had a rather lengthy discussion. He asked me how he could make it right? I flat told the man I did NOT want freebies, because I have already received a freebie in the form of a $50 gift card from another gentleman from his company. That was the end of the conversation. I forgot about it - I'm not going to dwell on that stuff, I just like to let Fry's know about what's going on when it happens. This guy sent me a $25 gift card to Fry's, too! There isn't anyway I will quit shopping at Fry's and I have never threatened to do so, but - I have definitely been going to other stores that are giving Fry's some serious competition as well. Today, though, Fry's had lean ground beef - 2-pound chubs - for $1.99 per chub! That's an AWESOME price! I wondered if maybe they didn't have it mislabelled?

The City of Phoenix actually sent me a bill for having Mary served with the Order of Protection! The night I had her served, I wasn't even the one that made the initial call, I just used the visit already in-progress to have it served. I am going to contest this one. But - whatever - it's just another thing I can add to the lawsuit if it comes to that. I haven't heard of them charging for such a service, though, and certainly they didn't tell me about any such charge when they were serving it. Definitely going to make a phone call and look into that.

I was very tempted when I was looking through Craigslist and saw Sassoo trees being sold for $5 per tree. That is an AMAZING deal. Yet another nursery going out of business. Those trees grow to be HUGE. And they are nice-looking too. I'm going to resist, I think, but darn, that's a great price. Yeah, I still look. I look to see if perhaps another nursery is going out of business. Hey, it's my version of window-shopping.

I am going to go for a visit in the next couple of weeks - probably anyway - to meet this lady friend I have been talking with online for some time now. I decided to take Fin's advice and make the first visit a day-trip in some public setting. We are talking about hiking with her dogs versus spending money on a restaurant trip or whatever. She knows my financial situation, I thought I better just put that out there in case it turns her off. She's very well off herself, making excellent money - but some ladies are inclined to find a "rich" guy. That definitely would not be me. I wrote her yesterday about the possibility, she wrote back and said definitely.

Well, that's it for me. I have been avidly reading the news about N Korea; Iran's upcoming election; waiting to hear Israel's response to Obama's speech (which I didn't and won't bother to listen to); the pic of Obama's feet up on his desk while speaking to - was it the PM of Israel? and their offense taken; and much more keenly, the Air France Airbus jet that went down in the sea. I do hope they find the black boxes. This kind of thing fascinates me to no end. I'm sure the families of those that are lost probably don't see it that way - but - this kind of thing happens and I do feel badly for everyone. There are amazing stories about some of the things that occured, the latest is a woman that missed her flight - which would have ended up in her death, only to be killed in a head-on collision. I immediately thought of the movie: "Final Destination". If you have watched any of those movies, you know what I'm talking about. Not that there is any actual reality to such a thing (the premise of the movie, that is), but it's just what came to mind. Oh, and the now official mandate that the Swine flu has been classified as a pandemic. This world is definitely in turmoil.

Well, and then there's the "May ONLY lost 651,000 jobs". What? Is this supposed to be a SMALL number? The media, whatta crock. The numbers went down a little, so that's great news. Yeah, well be on the receiving end of one of those pink slips and you aren't going to care a diddle about that. That is a LOT of jobs to lose in one nation in one month's time.

I'm gonna shut up now.
Have a great evening!
ben

3 comments:

Fin said...

It is very encouraging that your lady accepted the mid-way invitation. That is good news.

Fin said...

If you were talking about the Obama Cairo speech, I actually took the trouble to read it completely.

It was quite apparent that the NYC teevee newsreaders for the most part, did not. They would play a twenty second soundbyte from it and then go out and get the 'reaction' of someone on the street who had also not seen, heard or read it. And that, they call 'news'.

becomingkate said...

651,000 jobs, holy cow! And I've heard oil is going to go crazy high again, effectively shutting down those of us trying to stay afloat, *sigh*
I think it's awesome you're meeting face to face. Hope it goes well.

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...