Friday, July 17, 2009

Rain?

I went outside a little while ago to start watering plants.

I noticed the sky to the east dark and looking like rain.
Well, I went out front anyway - I didn't water the front yesterday - and decided to water that at least and let the rest go.
After that, came back in here and looked at Doppler and Satellite - if it's any indication, we're in for a decent rain and a good ground saturation.

I haven't seen rain in so long, I desperately hope it does! Not just for my plants, but for ME!!

I just checked Doppler again - it's right near my house now. PULLLLEEEASSSSE God - make it rain!

When I went out there, and after only a few minutes into watering - the wind started picking up. We used to call them dust storms. The reason being is that you would see a wall of dust a mile high coming in at you. You also ran for cover - a lot of stuff would be flying all over the place. Not anymore. They're wind storms I guess you could call them - the dust has been reduced greatly over the years because the outlying areas have been developed and now there's a lot of asphalt/cement/landscaping instead of open desert.

A nice "perk" if you want to call it that is that these storms almost always blow in colder air. I don't mean cold per se, just cooler than it was. It was 113 degrees a half hour ago, now it's 109. No, I checked it again - the storm is about 10 to 20 miles away judging from Doppler and the temp has now dropped to 108. May sound hot - yes - but the point is that my AC runs less at lessor temps. I'll take that anyday - tomorrow is forecast to be 115 degrees. I won't take that any day : (

Darn - the wind has started to die down and the rain is JUST around the corner.

Well, anyway, I have a cigar. I buy them - infrequently - very infrequently. He gets a deal on quantity cigars - he smokes them every day - and lets me in on the deal whenever I want one. This time? "Buy me lunch when I've over there next time" - referring to my store. I didn't have any money on me - I really try not to carry too much cash with me, lesson learned from years of excessive, wasteful spending (I think that must have been something I learned from the feds) - just don't have it with you. Sure, I have debit and credit cards - I'm pretty disciplined at this point to NOT waste money on needless things.

So, at the advice of fully 2 separate store employees at - 2 different stores - I will drink a bud tomorrow while - if I get everything of course - install the valve and copper portions of the beginning of the system. If all goes well, the cigar comes afterwards : ) I love cigars - though they make me quite high on nicotine. Sometimes to the point I feel like getting sick ............. I sorta learned the hard way to smoke half the cigar at one point and then the rest another day. In other words, cut it in half and have to times the pleasure. I am not advocating cigar smoking - just a nice thing to do once in a great while.

The storm is headed south and is going to bypass my immediate area. However, there was one huge effect: a decrease of temperature by fully 11 degrees in less than one hour's time! Nice.

G'nite.

ben

No comments:

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...