Thursday, September 10, 2009

Failing Geometry

So, I went to this ROTC meeting for the parents tonight and found out at the end that Caleb is in jeopardy of "imminent failure" of geometry and that if he does fail, ROTC will have no choice but to drop him from the program.

This is Caleb's third year in that program, he would be totally devastated.

As if I needed another ration of crap dumped onto my plate, I have to hear this from his Colonel, not from the ex or him. Not saying anything bad about the Colonel, I'm just aghast that I wasn't even informed about this s***. I am going down to the school tomorrow after work and ask for an audience with whoever about how we are going to get him through this - failure is NOT an option.

I've already started looking up local tutors - their prices and their experience - in helping to get through this. I have absolutely no way to pay for it, but I am going to have to FIND a way if it's REALLY coming down to him failing. I have no clue about geometry, I forgot all that stuff in high school, I have had no practical application of it in my adult life except on 2 occasions that I can remember in the last 27 years since I graduated.

I had extreme trouble with Geometry as well. I was good with all the other stuff, but geometry stumped me. It was half way through the school year before I finally started to get it - but I was already at D level grade, I BARELY passed that class. It sucked. Terribly.

I think I'm going to get more info from his teacher in that class and then go from there. Maybe my mom or dad could help with a tutor's expenses. Maybe the school has it's own resources with which to draw from, whatever the case, I will not let this go until I have a clear cut plan of action.

I'm pretty tee'd off, really. Not because he's having trouble, but because I wasn't told about this. I will be going behind the ex's and anyone else' back and getting my updates on his educational progress from this point forth.

Geeze.

Nice ending to a vacation.

ben

4 comments:

Fin said...

Sounds like you are confronting the problem head-on with good intent. ["Failure is not an option" was a great line from Apollo 13, although the guy involved [Gene Kranz] later didn't remember actually saying it.]

Obviously, you should have heard this first from Caleb himself. No good blaming ex or teachers. It seems early enough in the school year to be salvageable. Good luck to you both.

BenB said...

I don't blame teachers, but ex is the person that declared that she would deal with his education, quite adamently I might add. She wanted total control of it. After looking at some of his failed assignments today, I can safely say that her success rate is dismal at best. I also question her decision to not inform me of his lack of progress. To be failing a class this early in the year is outrageous. But, I am about to write up a nice little diddy about this situation, so no need to go too far into it here.

becomingkate said...

I used to be just shocked at how badly Jamie did in some of her classes, but unfortunately, she was alone quite a bit when she was in middle school. She was smart, but lonely and troubled and I hated having to work so much.
It wasn't until I had more time with her (durung my insurance days) that she finished. She really needed a coach and a cheerleader, and she was so relieved when she finished.
Too bad the ex didn't give you a heads up about C's grades. You and he have a good relationship, and I know things will improve now. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

There is no replacing the necessity for a parental role in a child's education, I firmly believe and agree with that. I am talking with my son daily about his school work at this point - since I have determined that she - the ex - is doing an abysmal job of it and I have already started the process of relinquishing her of this duty - whether she likes it or not.
Thanks!

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...