Friday, January 8, 2010

My New Account

Chase Bank sends out a coupon regularly in the mass mail for $100 for opening a checking account with them.

I had a Chase account long ago before they closed their doors here, packed their bags and totally left Arizona. I liked that bank then, I have heard they are a big bank mentality now. Well who cares, they are all like that anymore. I currently have a Compass Bank account - I also like Compass but the nearest branch is 6 miles away - in a direction I mostly never go.

There is one on the way home from work, however. I have thought about having an account somewhere where there is a branch close to my house - the nearest Chase is 2 miles away. I'm not a fan of having to drive long distances to do much of any kind of business unless it's something like a Craigslist deal where the gas spent is nothing compared to the deal I'm getting in money saved.

Well, really, the allure is a hundred bucks free. Yes, you have to deposit $100 plus the opening deposit, yes you have to keep the account for at least 6 months, but what the hey. I figure to use that account as my "savings" account. Sorta. I don't have much to save, but what I do, I'm doing it.

Anyway, had the rock truck here this morning. I spent the $100 my dad gave me for Christmas on it and some other money I got from tenants. I know, I was supposed to do something for myself with that Christmas money - well, really, I did do something for myself - I was hating the looks of that side of the house.

I have, however, created a ton of work for myself - make that 8 tons of work, lol. Carry all that stuff in little plastic pails? Good workout! Might lose a few pounds hauling all that stuff over there!

Well, I have to twist it somehow to make it sound appealing, cause' honey, carry 16,000 pounds of rocks in little pails for the next couple of days? Not too appealing to me at all.

Anyway, I have to get my mind into that mode - working that is - I'm outta here.
ben

2 comments:

What, Who, When? said...

I closed my account with Wamu who's bad paper and all was bought by Chase about the time it was purchased. Having had one to many over draft fee's charged I found a credit union that meets my needs and I have surprisingly no over drafts? Of course, I've changed some things like moved to a less expensive place, continued with my job. About the credit union, interest checking and savings linked, overdraft fee;s $8.00 and on the co_op network and cash available at all 7/11's without any fee 24 hours a day. That impressed the heck out of me. Happy New Year! Oh, been with them close to a year!

BenB said...

I don't do overdraft fees. I am very diligent to make sure I don't get caught up in that stuff. I used to get them frequently until I forced myself to go several years on cash only. I had no bank account, no credit or debit cards excepting a pre-paid debit card. It totally helped me get a grip on my spending habits. Losing $35 on every overdraft was not just expensive, it was extremely annoying to me that I wasn't able to keep a handle on my spending enough to be able to keep a positive balance. I learned more about budgeting during those 3 years I think it was than I had my entire life before that. You pay the stuff that has to be paid first, everything else is secondary. Roof; food; gas; electricity and water. For me, it's what a bank offers ME that interests me. In this case, a free $100 - catch that I have to have it open at least 6 months and have to put in at least $125 in deposits within 60 days of opening it. Will be doing that this week.

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...