Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday

Feeling a little better. Also feeling better about the situation at work. Whatever happens, I feel I did the right thing. Not doing anything would have had management believing I do nothing, or mostly nothing and that's not a good place to be in. I kinda feel in the middle of some pretty shaky ground, right now, to be honest - either way it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, or at least it has the potential of being that. I only know that I have given 4 years of my life working at that company, I love working there, still do, but I will not have my name or reputation tarnished and blemished because of misinformation being thrown around in offices and behind closed doors - or wherever it's happening - simply because I might have been afraid to say anything and potentially rock the boat.

In other words, if, for some reason, this ends up costing me my job, I will have the confidence and peace-of-mind that I went out standing up for myself, regardless of the potential consequences. I did not get into anyone's face about it, I wrote a simple email. I did make some comments on my Facebook page - oh well, that's MY page and at work, I cannot even access Facebook. No-one can through the company's internet. The comments? Things like what a genius I am, I can drive a truck AND be at the shop, surfing the internet at the same time!!

Well, for any potential naysayers, put yourself into my shoes. I work - hard - for 4 years running at a job. I go to great lengths to learn as much as I possibly can that is available to learn. I learn how to write up orders, do counter sales, shipping-receiving, pulling orders - a far greater role than just being a truck-driver only, and trust me, there are a LOT of truck drivers out there that will do nothing beyond the role of driving the truck. I do what is asked of me and more - sometimes far more. I don't complain and I willingly and gladly do all of it, without hesitation.

When my manager called me on Sunday at 9:00 pm asking me to go down to Tucson on an all-night run, I didn't huff and gaw, I said okay, what are the details, I'll be out of here in less than 10 minutes - and I was. I drove all night. I am not a night person anymore, that run messed me up for days!

At the same time, the company helped me out tremendously when my house burned down. A LOT of co-workers came to my aid with gift cards - some with HUGE amounts on them and furniture and all kinds of things. The company's family fund granted me 5 grand to help me get back on my feet. I am indebted to the company for the extreme and great amount of help I received in a dire time of need. I took 2 weeks off of work - the company granted me that and said if I need more, don't hesitate to ask. I had the hours saved up, yes, I'm just saying they went out of their way to help me out, and I am eternally grateful for such.

But, it tends to mess with my head when someone starts making accusations. I get a bit riled up. I think I have gotten over the riled up portion this weekend, I just wrote it out, processed it and now let the chips fall where they may. EVERYONE gets talked about behind their backs at some point or another during the span of your life - how you deal with it certainly is telling of the character and mold you come out of, the mettel that you are made of. I am of the mindset that when someone says something about you that you know is not true, then stand up to that person, regardless of their position - of course, do it respectfully and with some amount of grace. I like to think back to the scripture that says "we are all equal in the eyes of God". No man is really greater than another, we are all just specks of dust, according to Moses. Even Paul, one of the greatest characters in the New Testament oft-times lamented how far he fell short of the calling of which he acquired to attain, the prize that lay before him.

I only write all of this because, for whatever reason, I am feeling uneasy about what may lay ahead at work tomorrow/this coming week. Perhaps it's just the side of me that wonders what's going to become of all of this - usually, though, it's the part of me that goes through every conceivable ending - good and bad - in analyzing potential outcomes. Of course, if you look at the potential outcomes of the "bad" endings - well, there is always something else down the road, around the corner past the next bend.

Meanwhile, I have a big project ahead of me - or not. I'll see after this guy sees what it is. I already informed him the other trailer I was going to get was a piece of trash. He had offered to help fix up whatever I end up getting. Okay, well, we'll see how determined he is.
The tenant that left for CA is still gone and no phone call. I forgot to save his phone number in my cell - I know he has my number in his, he can call if he wants to to let me know what's going on. I'm wondering if I should put the room back up for rent? No, have to go through the legal procedure, in this case Abandonment proceedings - which has no court case at all. It's simply a notice posted on the door and whatever other contact info you might have for the person, contact those numbers/email addresses and give notification. Still have to keep whatever posssessions the person has in storage for X amount of time and give it back to them if they come to claim it - which is all well and fine, my only intent is to be getting money in from that room's use.

Well, I have a lot of laundry and cleaning projects to do today so I best get with the program.
ben

No comments:

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...