Thursday, April 15, 2010

More

Unbelievable that this work week is almost over already. This one flew by - I was very busy today and yesterday. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the truck routing system for tomorrow, but I am always optimistic that something might be dumped in there - the inside sales guys work much later than I do (a dream that I could get my hours back). I still have 3 coolers to work on at our branch if nothing comes up, though, which would take a good portion of the day to put the new pads in and clean out the units.

Caleb - my son - called me earlier asking if I am coming to the awards ceremony. What awards ceremony? I think it's for JROTC - he isn't sure whether he's getting one, but he wants me to come. I am not a big fan of anything that has to occur in the evening on a weeknight - not at all, but I'll go for his sake if nothing else.

I already took a rather long, afternoon siesta. I usually try to make up for the night before's lack of sleep - at this point anyway, I didn't used to - after I get home from work. Still 2 and half hours until I have to be at his school, so I am going to go outside in a few minutes here and take yet another look at this pond situation. I have not made up my mind where I want it for sure, but the place I am looking at would entail moving one of my sissoos. It is one that was planted just before winter last year - it is still small and should be easy enough to dig up and transplant if that's where the final stamp of approval dictates it to be.

I'm "eagerly" waiting for some dough to come my way. The newest tenant should be paying me tomorrow - it's the dude that just got another job a few plus weeks ago that's up in the air. I NEED the money from him and soon. $200 now and the rest in a few more weeks would work for me.....I have not seem him in several days (which is normal for him) so I don't know. No, he really couldn't move out of here without my knowing about it - ie: taking off and leave me hanging (though if this goes on much longer, I will force the issue with him anyway) - he has FAR too much stuff in there. Took his friends the better part of a day on several trips to get it all over here.

Nothing much else. I totally forgot to go to the doc's office and get that scrip today - I ain't going now. Not with having to go to Caleb's ceremony this evening, plus doing laundry right now plus a visit to the great outdoors - the east side of my house to be precise. I read about a "biologial filter" that everyone says you pretty much have to have if you want clear ponds, those things are EXPENSIVE. But, in my "cheap" style of trying to get great results for as little money as possible, I found several sites that show you how to make your own. One of them is using a plastic tub (already have several of those), a large amount of cheap sponges (dollar store stuff) and a small pump. So, for 30 or 40 bucks, I can do what they want MUCH more for at Home Depot or whatnot.

Having settled on doing that - though not even thinking about actually doing it yet - no need to until the ponds are in and I am ready to put water into them - I am now looking at trying to find a small waterfall. Apparently a necessary item to keep the water aerated and also help cool the water in the summer months.

I have also been reading from various sites of people in the Phoenix area who have these ponds with fish in them year round - apparently they can take the heat as long as you take the necessary steps to keep them as cool as possible. BTW, the fish are pretty cheap, so are the plants. Plenty of people are raising fish in their ponds and selling them at great prices and also pond plants.

I still need to see a lot more pics of different set-ups before I make any decisions on how my finished product will look. In fact, I am going to email some people on Craigslist and ask them for advice as well as all the searching for sites on the web for info. I would like to ask people around here how they deal, specifically, with heat issues, I don't think fish really like hot or even warm water, but I really don't know.

Anyway, the great outdoors is calling my name, I must respond!
ben

No comments:

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...