Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Pond

I was going to call it a Koi pond, but those ponds apparently need to be at least 3 feet deep - I don't think either of these ponds are that deep, haven't measured them yet, apparently goldfish and other such can survive in shallower, no big deal.

The offer was too good to pass up. 2 ponds, about 300 gallons total worth of water.

This will be a long project, probably, because there are several things you have to buy first before putting a single drop of water into them. A pump/filter system being the first and foremost. I have started reading about installing the ponds and about what the ponds need to thrive and survive.

My drip system project is almost done. I have the east and south side of the house left to run - and that is halfway there.

This is actually exciting for me - my current projects are running out of steam - not much left to do - and I have several things I still want to get done out there. Since I am pretty much "stuck" in this house for an undetermined period of time, but guessing at least 5 years, I am going to continue with projects as I can afford to do them.

Speaking of water, I found out today that I can run more than one station at a time. I hadn't even thought of the possibility, but didn't do the math, either. A station using 25 psi on a main water system that is around 75 psi should be able to sustain 2 of them going at the same time, thereby reducing my time spent out there making sure everything is going as needed. I had already watered a station before trying that or I would have tried 3 stations at the same time, thereby effectively watering almost the entire property at one, fell swoop.

I will not just turn these things on and go into the house. If I wanted to do that, I would have a timer on them and let them do their thing. The heat that is coming dictates to me to make sure I supervise the watering. I don't mind doing that, even in the heat. When it's that hot, the plants need the daily watering and if one of the emitters isn't working, depending on the plant, good possibility it could whither and die.

And on the heat note, I am glad to have these ponds NOW - it is still nice enough outside to make the digging not so terribly unbearable. My only concern is what to do with the dirt? I have a thought on that, but haven't even got there yet - this weekend I will be starting on the digging project and what to do with the excess dirt.

The digging will totally suck. Prepare myself now. The dirt in my yard is full of rocks, it makes digging by hand an experience. It is GREAT exercise, though, so maybe not so bad.

On a different note, I am seriouslyu thinking about getting back into a gym. Summer is coming and though I am doing some roller-blading here and there, it is not enough. I don't need a lot of motivation - if I'm around people doing the same thing - working out that is - that is enough for me. I would love to have some "personal" music to work out to - but - everything costs money. I'm talking about an ipod - an mp3 player work just as well. I think I am READY to start working out in a gym again. A gym has the specific equipment I am looking for to work on certain muscle groups and also specific aerobic equipment that also gives me what I am looking for.

Not there yet. The cost isn't GREAT, but it would be another drain on my finances. One consolation would be that the place I am thinking about going to has no contracts. Sign up, pay the registration fee, yes, but then it's month to month. It is also on the way home from work - do it then or I won't be doing it.

It should be no surprise to anyone if I come on here and start talking about my daily workouts. An hour a day - that's all I need to do at least 4 days a week. I'm giving it thought, that's all I can say for now. I would love to get back into the condition where I could ride a bicycle clear to work and back every day.

Have to see about that. It's a commitment and though I think I am ready to return to the gym, I am not SURE about it yet. I spent many, many years working out in gyms and I was in excellent condition. Twice I had my body fat measure in the water tank during those years and they both came back with 4.9%. I wasn't skinny, I was lean and toned.

Well, that's enough. I have been reading the politics for a while today - normal garbage. Nothing exciting, some of it is annoying, however.

G'nite.

ben

No comments:

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...