Thursday, May 20, 2010

Almost Here

"When you see something interesting, take pics!!"
My explanation to the site foreman after the truck was unloaded, yes, at that site right next to that huge array of giant satellite dishes. Dish Network. I would have to guess a main location with that much money in dishes and related equipment sitting there. I couldn't possibly guess what that array of dishes must cost, so I won't. It reminding me of the movie Contact where they are using that dish array in New Mexico - I have passed by there many times in the past and actually stopped the semi on the side of the road to get out and gawk.

I have no idea how the technology works, so I can't comment with any experience or knowledge. I can only say that that is a LOT of dishes to be bringing in satellite. Okay, I do ask why they would need satellite dishes since each user has their own satellite dish? One answer was given today, though I was no quite sure of the accuracy of the answer: at least one dish is "shooting" it over to Mexico. I have no idea, I would rather ask someone that works at the company.

Friday, that is, concerning the title of this entry.
I worked solid through the day and got back well after my allotted hours of time.  I am 4 hours over this week and have only worked 2 days - the other days were vacation time off.  Tomorow? Who knows.  There are 4 things to do, but that could blow up overnight as well.

I was quite surpised today to find that my weight is still at 198 pounds.  After the 4 day vacation, 2 days of it eating more than I should have, I thought for sure I would be over 200 again.  Very encouraging.  I'm having a clue that cutting out the cheeses is what is really helping me out here.  It is getting easier and easier to say no to cheese.

Oh, the other 2 pics? Simply look at the mirrors.  I took the pics to show the vast expanse of room they give you to drive in the center lane - in this case I was stopped at a light and waiting for a left turn signal.  Both sides have the outside tire on each axle on the trailer tandems sitting on the yellow line. 

I'm very tired.  2 nights in a row not sleeping well.  I did nothing with the waterfall today, instead I skimmed the surface of the lower pond and started using the cleaner on the bottom.  You sit there and squeeze this bulb thingy which pumps junk up from the bottom of the pond.  A great deal of algae has accumulated - I had to re-read the instructions on the algae removing liquid.  Every 3 days, retreat. 
Read the instructions, stupid.  Me, that is. 

I also stopped by the guy's house that has the 8X5 foot dimension pond.  So he said, anyway.  We walk out to the back of his house and I don't see a pond laying around anywhere.  He takes me to a corner and there this little, itty bitty thing sits.  3x3-1/2.  I summarily dismissed it, in my mind anyway, nothing like what I envisioned from his description of it.  I asked him about the size - he stated it looked that big to him.  Okay, buddy, whatever.  This guy does house remodels can't tell the difference between 8 feet and 3 feet just by looking? 

However, I thought it about and thought this thing would work perfectly in my front yard.  IF it is small enough.  Yes, small is better in the front yard, I don't have a lot of room to work with.  He wants $35 for this little thing that is used and in the ground.  I am thnking more like $15.  A great water garden feature in my yard it would make: yes. Worth $35? I can buy a brand new one at Lowe's for $40.  That is something that is new, I know it won't be leaking and I won't have to worry about it.  I'm going to email him with my offer - if he doesn't like it, good luck.  People put ponds on Craigslist forever, a day and a half at FAR too high prices and they continue run those ads over and over and over.  I have seen the same guy running the same ad every day for over a month now. 

The weekend almost here, I hope to get the block to build the retaining wall for the waterfall.  It's just that it's going to take at least 2 and probably 3 trips to get that block in my car.  Yet, I must get this thing going and get it done, summer is here - close enough.  They said it hit 100 today.  The saving grace is that it is still getting cool at night.  In a month, it will get "down" to 90 at the lowest at night.  The water must be cooled and a good waterfall will help do that AND aerate the water for the fish.  When the temps get well above 100, I will be thinking about freezing a large container of water every night and dumping it into the pond in the morning to cool it. 

Well, I think I'm done with this one.  I continue to look at Craigslist and will until I find a larger pond at the right price.  No hurry, I am content with the 2 I have now.
Anyway, ava great evening.

ben

1 comment:

BenB said...

BTW, look at the big mirror and the spot mirror on the photo showing the left side. The big mirror shows a pickup truck. The spot mirror shows 2 cars. Look through the window, you see one of the cars, you do NOT see the other. You see a lot of mirrors on a truck? There is a good reason for it. Also, click on the picture for a bigger pic. Click on it again for a MUCH bigger pic!

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...