Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Final Day






As I had thought - after I had already asked for the time off - I should have asked for 3 days off instead of two.
Well, huge deal - I can deal with a 3-day work week. Sometime soon is Memorial Day Weekend and that will be 3 days off as well.

Regardless, I am headed over to a Maricopa County location in southwest Phoenix in a little while to get some Mosquito fish - free. I like the free stuff, lol. These things eat flies, apparently. A pond can be a breeding grounds for mosquitos - but not if there are little fishies in the pond that like to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'll only need 2 per pond, I'm thinking, every says they multiply in numbers quickly.

The cement for my posts has still not dried yet, I can't really finish that little project until that cement is set.

First pic: At the bottom is where I have finally determined to put the waterfall versus at the "top" of the ponds where you see some large rocks situaited.

Pic 2: I just got back from the County building - which is nestled in the midst of the Durango jail system which is also where Sheriff Joe Arpaio hangs out, lol. They gave me about 20 of the mosquito eaters for free. They do not need to be fed, the instructions say they will find all the food they need in mosquitos attempting to hatch larvae in the ponds themselves. I do NOT want mosquitos taking over my side yard. Apparently these little fish are VERY efficient in eliminating any problems. I saw a bunch of flies on the surface of the water this morning which got me moving a little faster to go and get these free fish. The pic is the lower pond - the green is clearing out quickly. I put some algae killer in there yesterday. The bottom of the pond is a bit dirty - got dirt and sand in there in my construction operation and may or may not clean it out. It's only natural for a pond to have dirt in it, yes?

Pic 3: From "above" the ponds, a view of where the waterfall is going to go. This is a learn as I go type of deal here.

Pic 4: Just another pic of where I was going to have the waterfall. Although I came to the conclusion on my own that it was not an ideal location for one, I was reading yesterday that you really want to situate the falls wherever you are going to be sitting or standing to view them. The new location is ideal for that.

Pic 5: A bit more broader of view of the posts I installed yesterday and STILL waiting for the cement to dry. Hopefully soon I can put the shade screen on it. Going to try to make it look nice, not junky, not sure how that will turn out.

That's that. It was cool out last night to the point that the pond water was very cool this morning. The goldfish are terrified of me. When I walk up to the pond the go hiding. Just trying to feed them, not kill them!

I am sort of taking my time on this waterfall project. I was in a hurry to get it done for the cooling effect it will have on the water, but, the more information I gather, the more I have a better idea of how to do this thing. For example, I had thought that I better build the waterfall first - before cementing it or anything, make sure it's how I want it and then - take it all back apart and go ahead and start the "real" construction of it.

I then read yesterday online that if you don't put it together first before making it permanent, you are likely to regret that action. yes, well we don't want to go regretting things in life, do we? I have enough regrets in human personal interations, thank you, don't need any more, such as putting something together with cement and then realizing I am going to have to take it apart again to fix whatever I may have done wrong in the first place.

Another thing I learned was to make sure the fall plates are perfectly level or the effect you are attempting to gain is not going to work. Good advice.

Onto a few other items. The trailer tenants are nowhere to be found, but their stuff is still in the trailer. He had major surgery, I'm assuming he is either still in the hospital or perhaps they found a place to be put up temporarily while he is recuperating. Dunno, really, haven't heard from them. The female tenant is gone for the week. The temp guy paid up another week in advance and was hinting at possibly staying until the end of the month. He is a very reserved, quiet individual and chooses to keep to himself, which is fine, I have no idea what his situation is but I will guess that he's looking for a room to rent somewhere and apparently is taking his time about it. Fine by me, I need the additional funds from that room.

Have put off cleaning the carpet in the living room only because I simply don't feel like doing it - cleaning it that is. Work tomorrow - not a bummer just would have liked a little more time off and have only myself to blame. I'm sure they would have given it to me if I would have asked. A full week off is really what I'm thinking now, I have plenty of hours for it. Michael IS in school now. He has been for a couple of weeks. It's a "special" school - basically for kids that get themselves thrown out of regular high schools. 3-1/2 hours a day. That's all it is. I have taken him there a few times including yesterday, did so to actually ensure that he IS going to school and not making it up.

Whatever the hours, it's better than nothing which he has been doing for quite a while now. He is not staying here permanently per his own words. I'm not sure why he is here after hearing him say that, assuming the situation at home is a bit tough to deal with in thinking about having to live with all of those people. They do not have internet, or possibly they do but I know the computer is old and it is very slow. The creature comforts here are probably a LOT better than there. I have made no attempts whatsoever to either encourage him to stay or to leave, I'll leave that up to him.

As for now, well, I want to lay out the form to pour concrete and get that footer poured if at all possible.

G'day.
ben

No comments:

 Wednesday - mid morning As I said, I have today off and I am in no hurry to do anything.  Like, sit here, drink coffee, muse about differen...