Saturday, June 12, 2010

Doings

First, I went to the pond society meeting.  A man was there from  a liner production company giving a lecture on liners and what kinds to buy and what kinds not to buy.  Amazingly, he wasn't even trying to sell his own product.  Why?  Because his company only does very large liners dealing in commercial projects.  He was very knowledgeable, however, in all kinds of liners and how they apply to small ponds and what kinds you would want to buy versus the kinds you want to avoid.  I got a few free plants - I don't really need a lot more plants at this point, if any, but there were 2 types I don't have in my pond so what the heck, for free I wasn't going to turn them down.

Second, I came home, of course.  But tired.  I stayed up way too late last night.  I have been doing that lately on weekends and it takes it's toll since I am not used to such and really - do not want to revert to such.  Tonight I will be going to bed at 9:00 pm and that's that end of that. 

Third, even though tired, I still went out there to start digging out the ground for the pond only to realize the only way to do that is to have the pond shell there, setting it over everything, so I can figure out how I want it.  Considering how hard the ground is, it would be a waste of time to start blindly digging, guessing where it might go.  So, I finished work on the other pond that was already in the ground.  Cleaned it out, filled it up and checked for leaks.  That pond has no leaks.  One patch that I put in it still holding.  I will treat the water today and get a pump running through a filter, put some of the plants in there as well, but I am not going to transfer the goldfish in there until the treatments have a chance to take effect on the water.

The large pond water is now turning green already.  Even with treating it as often as I can according to directions on the treatment, the treatment is, basically, doing nothing to stop the algae.  Well, there is no sense in wasting money on product that doesn't work.  There is sense in getting a product that does work - a UV sterilizer.  I found the cheapest one I could find on eBay - and yes, the seller has a great feedback with very few negatives - with free shipping.  I checked this product out first, though.  I could only find one review online from a man who claimed he was very unhappy with it. 

Okay, what's up? He says the fitting on the thing are cheap junk and you will have to replace them.  Okay, a couple bucks worth of fittings, what else?  It doesn't come with a pump.  Okay, I expected that, I don't need a pump, I now have several.  Finally, after all of his whining, he says the thing works "excellent" in keeping algae out.  ????  This guy is trashing a product that he ends up saying works excellent, had a problem with the fittings and had to replace them.

Whatever.  When I get the thing, I will take it to Home Depot or wherever I need to go, find new fittings and then be done with it.  Or, according to this guy, you can bypass the fittings if you an use 1 inch pipe.  This guy's a nutcase, really.  BTW, 2 fittings, that's it. 

Lol.  That's it for me. I was doing laundry this morning and decided I better not be a hypocrite when I came back from the pond club to finish it - after 10:00AM.  I have imposed a moratorium on everyone else to not do laundry between 10 in the morning and 6 in the evening. I just wanted to get it done.  Oh well. 

That's about it.  I'm famished, hungry that is, going to think about what I am going to make myself to eat while still staying on a diet.

2 comments:

PaintTheHorse said...

We've thought about turning one of our water tanks on the hill into a pond with a pump and everything. But we need a tractor.

BenB said...

That'd be very cool. Do you have neighbors somewhere out there that might loan you one?

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...