Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The BIG News

I've been hearing this all day on the news, you'd think someone had been killed:
COLD BLAST IS COMING THOUGH - or some such thing.
About 2, 2 and a half years ago, a hard freeze hit this area.  It destroyed a lot of trees and plants all over the place.  
They are saying this thing coming through is going to be worse than that one and are warning everyone to cover EVERYTHING up or it's probably not going to come out too well in the end.  

Well, I take such warnings seriously, I have gone to FAR too much work and trouble to plant all of this stuff only to have Mother Nature come along and kill it.  I have enough blankets and sheets that I accumulated from last year to cover just about everything.  I got even more this year I should be able to cover all of it.  My Christmas lights will also help.  If I had big fans, that would help too, but I don't.  

So, Thursday afternoon I am covering everything up and it's going to stay that way for 2 nights in a row, the length of time they are saying the hard freeze conditions will be around.....................and hope whatever I do is enough, cause if it isn't, I'm going to be a very unhappy person if my plants all die or suffer serious freeze damages.  I can deal with some leaves being ruined, but an entire plant?  Gag.  




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wednesday
2 more work days - including today - to go before another 3 day weekend.

I left the non-paying tenant a Notice Of Abandonment AND a Quit or Pay notice yesterday. She came "home" overnight, left me a note and left. I'm guessing she probably did a bunch of laundry as well, which really sucks because my power reader is almost out of money. Not that I'm out of money, I got home yesterday and found the thing beeping and $8 left on it.

Which is plenty, unless you have a tenant that thinks electricity is free and use as much of it as possible.

Anyway, she left me 2 week's rent in the envelope and called it even, saying how confused she is about where I come up with another week's rent owing on top of it. I'm not confused: this week, last week and $75 for the week before. Now, if she is saying she is paid up UNTIL this week, fine, that's true. But, rent is due on the first day of the week, not the first day of next week, thank you.

Regardless, I was happy to receive anything from her, but she did state that she "is sorry you feel I have abandoned the room", yada yada yada. Abandonment notices are for those people tha disappear, in this case for a minimum of 7 days AND are past due in their rent a minimum 10 days. Well, she was gone 8 days up until yesterday and she was 14 days past due in rent.

This is the trouble with weekly renters who are unemployed but don't want to lose their room. However, I did get the 2 weeks worth of back payments, I am going to call her later as she has requested and we will discuss the legal intentions of posting a Notice of Abandonment when a person completely disappears and is way past due on rent. If she was paid up, she can disappear as long as she wants to, I don't care. Just like the other female tenant who is paid up until the beginning of the year. She has been gone a week. Well, her room is paid up, whether a person wants to live in the room or not is their business, whether they pay the rent for it is mine. In reality, that lady is in Alabama right now visiting kinfolk and I have no idea when she is coming back, but unless it's way past the 1st, she won't be finding abandonment notices on her door.

A huge storm front is moving through the state (well, since people are visiting this site from around the world, this state would be Arizona and I am in Phoenix), just as predicted. It is supposed to dump a bunch of rain all day long today and then tomorrow night, it's supposed to get very cold (by our standards, anyway). Well, I haven't had to water plants in at least 2 weeks and from the looks of it, I can move that another 2 weeks out.

The dogs will get their nice little sweatshirt/vest thingies on them tomorrow when it's going to be very cold outside and that will be that.

Hmmm, well I have a lot to do today, amazingly enough, I just checked the truck routing system. A trip to Queen Creek then to downtown Phoenix and then over to Casa Grande. I am wondering, however, if it's going to stay that way once the rain starts dumping out of the sky.

Anyway, work day is here and I'm done with this one.

G'day.

ben

Fijufic said...

I have to bring everything indoors when we get the freezes. We just had 16 inches of sow and it NEVER snows here...

Fijufic said...

snow rather

Fin said...

NYC and vicinity got absolutely HAMMERED by two feet or more of snow.

Glad I was working in 63 degree temps in the yard instead.

Anonymous said...

Bobby, I can't bring the stuff in, it's in the ground. It has to be covered.
They are predicting low elevation snow here - that would be a hoot!
Fin - I saw that in the news!! I didn't know it was that nice where you are at now!

 Thursday - evening - iPhone entry  I was beating the tires on the trailer with a hammer this morning and one of them reported back with a “...