Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fish

It's been cold here - at least by Phoenix terms - it's cold.  The weather reports I read this morning were either wrong or at 5:00 am the temps were still coming down, cause' at 6:00 am it was 24 degrees.  I have resigned myself to the fact that this winter?  Gonna experience some plant damage due to freezing conditions and there isn't anything more than covering the plants with sheets that I can do about it.  I hope the plants don't TOTALLY die out, much of the stuff will make a comeback if even a little bit of the plant is still alive, especially Honeysuckles.

My trepidation today had a little to do with that - but not that much. Really aren't going to know the extent of the damage from last night and yes, in the morning as it's going to get freezing again - for days or even weeks.  I'm guessing eventually?  I will have a LOT of plant trimming to do.

Nope, the trepidation was with the fish.  How cold did those ponds get?  Are the fish all floating lifeless on the top of the water? Did they survive?  I went out, both ponds had no fish floating, sigh of relief.  Checked the temps.  The pond that isn't buried in the ground was almost 60 degrees, the one that is in the ground about 52 degrees.  Both ponds have 2 large heaters going in them right now.  So, cool that.

No, for plant damage?  Yup, I can foretell at least some of it.  I also found out that Taro - a water plant, does not do well in cold weather. The giant leaves were shrivelled up.  The small leaves that were just coming out were in perfect condition.  Still another night of this stuff to go, predictions of high 20's to low 30's tonight.

G'nite.

ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friday

Another week passed already, tomorrow my birthday (for some reason, I am actually looking forward to it) and Superbowl Sunday follows.

Meanwhile, the "Day of Departure" in Egypt where the demand for Mubarak to quit intensifies today, allegedly, anyway. Interested that the nation's Army isn't trying to stop them from protesting.

Have you ever bought a Subway sandwich, eaten half of it and put the other half in the refrigerator for the next day? I do that frequently, but gag me with a silver spoon if it doesn't get somewhat soggy by the next morning. It's cheaper to buy the footlong and it halves at different times - I'm not going to eat a foot long sub as I used to, not very good for a diet.

So, here's the local news of the day: we're all complaining about how cold it is, lol. I think the high yesterday was 49, pretty much unheard of in these parts. The high today is supposed to be in the low 50's, still cold by AZ desert dwellers standards. It's around 30 degrees right now and "feels like" 24. I just think it feels cold. I am not a big fan of having to go out there in this cold and start loading up a truck in the dark.

No, not at all. Which is exactly what I have to do in a few minutes. Oh, the trailer tenants: they got a food box from the Salvation Army, I think it was, they even delivered it. It came with a 20 pound turkey. Cooking that tomorrow and using the leftovers to make Devonshire sandwiches on Steelers-Win-Their-7th-Superbowl-Trophy Sunday. Lol.

G'day.

ben

Fijufic said...

Have a good weekend Ben...

 Thursday - evening - iPhone entry  I was beating the tires on the trailer with a hammer this morning and one of them reported back with a “...