Friday, March 18, 2011

Pond Stuff

The liner did show up today.  I was going to install it and put some new fish into it - but - I decided on changing the game plan.  I am going to fill on the hole were the water line was fixed - so I am going to have to wheelbarrow quite a number of loads from the back of the property to the front to do that.

The point is to make it as level as possible, and the side of the pond where the repair on the water line was done is not level.  I will need to bring the dirt level up to at least the bottom of the pond on that side of it to make it level.

The other reason I changed my mind is that I realized that I do not want to put any Koi in that pond.  It will be, at least at first, goldfish only.

I say that because I acquired 3 more Koi today.  I am totally uninterested in goldfish at this point- I have plenty of them and don't want anymore, Koi are way cooler looking.  Today's score was a butterfly Koi and then 2 - whatever kind of Koi they are.  Underfed, apparently. I put them in the larger pond, came back later, threw some Koi pellets in there and that butterfly Koi went crazy.  I think it overfed itself.  It looked like it hadn't eaten in a long time the way it was feeding.  That one is about 6 inches long, the other 2 are around 3 plus inches long.

The smaller ones were trying to inhale the pellets, but they kept ejecting them, assuming they are too large. I tried putting in goldfish flakes but they ignored them and kept going after the Koi pellets.

Well, tomorrow, I am thinking anyway, I will be putting the liner in the pond, filling up the hold, leveling out the pond, filling it up with water, getting the pump and filter going, etc etc etc.  Put some fish stress stuff on there that also helps the fish adapt to new water.  Catch goldfish out of the large pond, dump them in there.  Put some plants in there - this will be a weekend project, at least.

But, I am at my bedtime.  Even on weekends, I mostly go to bed early.

G'nite.

ben

No comments:

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...