Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday 4/14/2011

Thursday

The US Navy has a LASER now? Lol!!! Captain Jean Luc Picard to Data: Fire lasers! I mean really, that's Star Trek type of stuff! I guess it's still apparently in testing mode or something, but that's quite the leap in technology - at least to me it is.

Planes and things having to do with them seem to pop up quite frequently in the news. Of which I am always fascinated, regardless. The senator that landed a Cessna on a closed runway that had construction personnel working on it at the time of his landing? Crazy!

Or air traffic controllers falling asleep on the job?!!! My gosh - those people make a LOT of money, THAT if nothing else oughtta make them stay awake for a job as important as that one! Heck, let ME take all the training and get in there, I'll become a night owl to rake in that kind of dough!!

Problems at work? Yes. I'm not sure where this one is going, either. I'm not going into it here, on a public website, viewable by anyone in the world, just junk.

2 of 3. I have 2 of the 3 things I needed to get out this week done. Child support and the loan modification documents - that had to be notarized AND had to have 2 witnesses. Next is the tax return. I have everything that I know of that I need to have to send it in, including the fire report which I obtained yesterday. I was amazed at how many units had been called out on that. In a 28 minute period of time, there had been 14 units dispatched.

I DID find it odd, though, that with all this detailed information they had on this, the "Received" time was not on that paper and the "Entered" time - the time between being received and entered into the system has "elapsed" showing as "error". It was less than 3 minutes from the time dispatched to the time the first unit was on scene - which makes sense since the nearest fire department is all of 2 blocks away. However, I remember thinking at the time that it was taking awfully long for them to get there - it appears from that paperwork the dispatcher apparently made an error in GETTING the fire department dispatched.

The house would not have been saved, but much more of my personal belongings would have if they had been there even a few minutes faster. It's ancient history now, no use crying over spilt milk, but I WOULD like to know what, exactly, happened.

Time's up.

G'day.

ben

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AFAIK, the sleeping controller was working alone in a tower that the FAA had previously agreed should have had at least two. The amount of money they make is irrelevant to someone working long shifts, or working enforced overtime [unk if that was the case in this instance, but it has been common in the past].

Further, note that there were something like three scheduled flights in the six hour period...hardly the stuff to keep you on the edge of your seat.

fin

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to go to flight controller training school, lol. I'm sure THAT'S cheap. I just read that scientists believe that controllers should have scheduled naps on night shifts. I also read they make well over 100k in wages and benefits. I don't know, Fin, I took a crappy job driving old, junky trucks with half the brakes on it not working doing completely off road stuff that was 75k per year in pay. It was gruesome work but money talks. I guess I believe if someone is making that kind of money, that in itself oughtta be enough to keep them awake!
ben

Anonymous said...

Friday

Yayyyy, it's Friday!
This is hilarious: Arizona legislature okays birther bill - which requires any and all presidential candidates to prove via birth certificate or some other acceptable means that they were born in the United States.

The wild, wild, west. Well, whatever. I'm sure the opponents of this particular bill will do.....what? Tell everyone to boycott Arizona again? Lol. It still amazes me that one of our own state's senators actually got that going when the Immigration bill was being considered.

Ummm, I think I'll leave the realm of the politics - though I do find no small amount of amusement and entertainment from the bickering and bantering back and forth between the two parties about how we should - or apparently should not - reduce the nation's deficit.

Regardless, I am sending in one tax return today and probably go ahead and file this year's as well. Work on the other 2 years - of which I have the paper work sitting around somewhere, get it over with, wait for the IRS to start heck and heterdyne, I am sure. What's another round of drama in my life?

Went to the JROTC event last night where they hand out awards. Caleb got two of them. His final days of being on top of his particular world in High School are drawing to a close. Then he's off to new adventures. The ex was there, too, she snapped a pic of Caleb and I.

Almost scary. No more kids in the house? Maybe I need to go out and find a ready-made family, lol. I don't want any more babies, but I wouldn't mind doing the sports thing with baseball and all that over again with another one.

Anyway, no great plans for the weekend. I am, however, talking with a nice looking gal in email back and forth. I know she's nice lookin' cause she has sent me about a dozen different pics. This lady actually seems to be normal!! Christian, no drugs, doesn't smoke, don't know about kids, has a job, career, even money! Not that not having money is a disqualifier, but my wouldn't it be nice to find someone that is self supporting and isn't in want. I dunno, we're talking back and forth. Amazingly, this person replied to a Craigslist ad. I stopped doing those after several failed attempts last year to meet - anyone that has even a close semblance to being normal. But, whatever is in all of us that drives us to be with someone - got me going again. I didn't want to; pay for Match.com and was having no luck with Plenty of Fish, figured to try the freebie route again.

Umm, oh, the weekend. Well, probably the same routine. Caleb is gone to some sort of camp this weekend, I am still considering taking a day trip out of town just to get a new perspective - the mountains tend to do that for me.

G'day.

ben

 Thursday night I am finally home. The ending of the ordeal at the TA truckstop did not go without a hitch.  When I got there yesterday and ...