Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday 6/1/2011

Wednesday

Well the work week certainly cruises right by when you start it on a Tuesday. Not to mention working until 4:30 pm yesterday.

I'm kinda excited about this weekend coming up, taking my son up to the mountains for his 2 month deal going on up there. But, get the work week done.

Had a "kid" contact me yesterday - I have had ads in the past with free food - he wrote me and told me he hasn't eaten in 3 days. There is one thing I will never turn down to anyone if I have any to give away, and that's food.
So I will be dealing with situation directly after work today. However, work looks like it's going to be busy. I was supposed to go back up to the mine today, but they mining operation sent their truck here. Seems that somebody goofed and we were supposed to send the material up to them yesterday, not today.

Fortunately, not my goof and had nothing to do with it.

I feel like I have won a mini lottery with this 5k check sitting in my wallet. The only thing I can tell myself is: don't spend it right away. Yes, fix and repair the things that need fixed and repaired, but beyond that, give it a few days or even a week - or even longer.

I am definitely going to go on vacation. I would love to go to the Atlantic side of the country as I haven't been in - a long time - and I love Atlantic beaches FAR more than Pacific beaches. But, of course, a trip to the Pacific would be far cheaper. Plus they have what I have heard are some great fishing boat trips.

Meanwhile, I am going to get the mortgage interest paid information for the year 2008, 2009 and 2010 - well I have the one for 2010 and I may have the one still for 2009 - and then I am going to do the taxes over. The carry-over from the house fire will be no small chunk of change, the effort will definitely be worth it.
June 1, 2011 6:10 AM
Anonymous said...
I was chuckling on the way to work, though, thinking of the list of things that I lost in the fire that I was claiming. A mop, bucket and broom. Lol. I claimed everything down to the frozen food that was in my refrigerator at the time. A guitar and expensive cowboys boots. I seriously thought for sure that the IRS would contest some of those things since I had no proof, whatsoever, that I ever owned any of it, but, I really didn't come up with a huge figure in total losses. Why? Cause' I wanted to be honest about it, including honesty in figuring what it would have cost to replace that stuff. If there was anything that I thought the IRS might get a bit ancy about, though, definitely it would have been that list. Nothing untrue - all of the things I listed I actually owned - and lost - during that fire.

Oh, just before the Obama administration gets it's way and starts attempting to force gun control on American citizens, I am definitely getting at least a 9mm handgun. What brand I don't know, really don't care that much. And yes, for the sake of not getting myself into trouble, I am going to take the concealed/carry course which I don't really have to take but they teach you the law: what you can and can't do in most situations.

Here's a question, for example, that I have no idea whose side the law would be on. Several years ago, when I was living in the old house that burned down, I was sleeping in the living room. A bullet came through the front window. A firefight erupted between two rival gangs that just happened to be driving on my street at the same time, coming from opposite directions. Since I was basically being fired at, would I have had the right to start firing a gun back at all of them? I wasn't the target, but that bullet came within about 4 feet of my head. The police came in, found the bullet and eventually found ALL of the people involved. I think one of them died and several were wounded with gunshot wounds.

What a bunch of morons, shooting at each other because of rivalry or turf issues?

Ummm, anyway, putting that aside. What I REALLY - NEED - on my house is an awning the covers at least most of the west side of the house to keep the summer sun off of it. I'm guessing I could find an out-of-work carpenter to do the work and pay him hourly wage.

Well, whatever.

Oops. Got busy - time to end this one.

G'day.

ben

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thursday

Normally, the bank would put a hold on a check that large. Not an IRS/government backed check, apparently. Instant credit. I haven't seen that much money in my checking account since my house burned down and my dad wrote me out a large check to help me out.

Anyway, Thursday. Inching closer to Caleb's departure day. He's been hanging out with friends quite a lot - it has come to all of their attention that soon, everyone is going their separate ways and probably won't be seeing each other again for a while - quite a while. Maybe never. That's the way it goes in life.

But you never know. Facebook wasn't around when I was that age, computers weren't even that popular now that I think of it.

Anyway, I haven't been up in the White Mountains in years, it will be just as good a trip for me to get away as it is for my son to get jump started into adult life. Welcome to the real world, now go to the mountains, lol.

Ummm, well I got busy again, time to end this one.
Later.
ben

Fijufic said...

Sounds like you are breathing easier since this windfall. I'm sure glad to read this. I'm always pulling for you Ben. Always.

Cheers,
Bobby

BenB said...

I appreciate that, Bobby, you are a good guy. It most certainly does give a bit of breathing room, definitely. I didn't have much extra money for any emergencies that might come up - like 2 summers ago when the AC broke in my house and I ended up using mortgage payment money to get it fixed. It was 114 or something like that the day it broke, on a weekend.
ben

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...