Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I will answer the comments in my last post here.
Got to the place at 3:30 am.  Paid up everything for the trip and then went outside to wait
for them to signal the okay to board the boat.  Maybe 15 minutes later, they fired the boat up and then?  It stalled maybe 15 seconds later. I joked with some others that the boat was broken
and now there wasn't going to be a trip.

Umm, unfortunately, the joke became reality.  Ruptured fuel line.  We got the news
and started to contemplate what to do.  There were 12 of us out there for this boat.  A group of
4 made a phone call to some other fishing place that must have been near there and they took
off after confirmation that there was still just enough spots left for them to come.

Then another group of 4 made phone calls to wherever, where they apparently scored and they
left post-haste.  Well, Caleb and I are left with 2 others. 1 had decided to go home, the other hadn't
made up his mind, I was in "aggressive panhandler" mode. I just drove 455 miles to get on that
boat, they knew I was from out of state, they had called me the night before to confirm I was
still coming and yes, I informed them, I'm en-route, about 100 miles out.

Well, they had another boat going out 2 hours later.  The problem with that boat - that I had heard
from people - is that it only goes out by some islands which are over-fished and may not bring in a
good haul.  Yeah, but we were up, awake and I just decided to get on that boat and whatever
happens, happens.  It was a full boat, unfortunately, meaning there were too many people and
lines were getting crossed all day long.  The worst part is that there weren't many fish caught.

I only snagged 2, Caleb gave up after an hour of it.  I subsequently learned that Caleb doesn't care
one way or the other about the fishing part of it, he just likes being on the boat and out on the
ocean. Well that didn't bother me and I made the best of the day regardless of lack of fish.

I can only say that if we go again?  Back to San Diego, not Ventura.  The San Diego trip a bit more
pricey, but if I can catch a lot of fish, I don't care.

I was actually going to go for a second day of it, but, I decided to go home instead.

Caleb probably would have liked a second day, I was just too worn out from the previous day's
endeavors on that boat to do much of anything but drive home. 10 hours of fishing sort of creeps
up on you, lol.

It was good.  I was glad to get out of town.  It was MUCH cooler over there.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened here at the house while we were away.  The only oddity was Duke.  He just could not stay away from me. I told him to go lay down, he did and just got bacvk up and got right back in my face. He has some pretty extreme separation anxiety issues.

I'm thinking of heading up the hill tomorrow and getting some mountain time in.  Maybe stay up
there until Saturday.  I'm not sure yet.  The weather around these parts is conducive to either
staying inside your house in the AC  or getting out of town.  I have to admit that I much  greater
like going up to the mountains in the tall pines with cool, fresh air than going to the ocean.

Not saying I don't like the ocean, just that most of my life in outdoors it's been in the mountains
camping yet at the same time, our family spent plenty of time at the beaches as well.  It would help
if I had a "significant other" to go to a beach with : )

So, a great time really.


Interesting day. Up early - 4:00, jolted out of deep sleep by the ridiculous phone alarm - annoying as all get out but that's the inten...