Wednesday, February 13, 2013

So, I'm deilvering to a jobsite that is right off the freeway (I-10 at Warner Road).
I was quite fortunate, frankly, that I was in the pickup truck and not the semi.  Why?  Cause' the Feds had a commercial vehicle inspection station set up replete with portable scales.  they were not diverting the entire freeway off, they were just catching whoever mighthappen to get off there.  And boy, were there a lot o officelatoinrs standing around waiting for something to do.

I've stated this a thousand times, say it again: they can an will find something wrong with your truck.  I don't care if it's brand new, they will find something wrong with it.  And now under the newest regulations, a warning counts against a company that same as a ticket.

Oops, did I say the latest regulations?  Nix that statement, cause' they are now coming out with even MORE restrictions on commercial drivers.  They wonder why the trucking industry is experiencing a shortage of qualified drivers and not being able to recruit enough new drivers to the "profession".  They are now going to reduce the amont of hours any driver can drive in a given week, from 82 to - I  it was 70 but don't quote me on that.  I'd have to look it up again.

It's not going to affect me at all.  But it is definitely going to affect many of my fellow OTR drivers.  Do you realize how much "free" work an OTR driver does?  Most the time, loading and unloading is not paid.  Fueling is not paid.  Doing all the paperwork is not paid.  The ony thing they are paying for is the amont of miles you drive to deliver a truckload of goods from point A to point B.  Everything else is free work.

This is my pet peeve with the wages that are paid to OTR drivers that are driving for a company.  I'm a big time advocate for hour wages for all truck drivers that want it over only getting paid by the mile.   Talk about a big time change in the trucking industry, if all of the time that truckers have to spend in doing everything that driving a big rig entails had to actually be paid for!

The contractor I delivered to said this was the second time they had done it there in the last couple of weeks. Wow.  Never knew they were doing it there at all.

Well, anyway, prayer meeting tonight, not sure if I'm going or not.  Also not sure about going to church this Sunday.  If I end up in the mountains, I may just end up taking my leisurely time in leaving on Sunday to get home.  Traffic on the highway shouldn't be that bad, it's winter and not near as many people like going up north during the winter as they do during the summer.

I'm not going to decide on that trip until tomorrow night, when I can see some kind of weather report as to what might happen.  I don't give forecasters much credence around here, they can't seem to get much right.

No comments:

 Wednesday - mid morning As I said, I have today off and I am in no hurry to do anything.  Like, sit here, drink coffee, muse about differen...