Saturday, June 8, 2019

Well, my calculations were off - like wayyyyy off - for my next run. I figured I shouldn't be going out before Monday morning at the earliest, instead, I'm the first load tomorrow morning - Sunday.  Although working to my favor, it further proves my manager's methodology is wayyy off in how she does it.  There is literally no way I should be the first load tomorrow morning going by her stated method of handing out runs.

I both love and hate working on Sundays.  I love it because you can make very good time and get on down the road without a lot of traffic. I hate it - because it is Sundays and I just have this built in thing that Sundays should be a day of rest.  And come around noon to 3 pm ? Some internal thing kicks in and I have to pull the truck over and go to sleep for at least 30 minutes, if no longer.  Don't know why, but I guess because most of my life Sundays have been a day of rest and only this job did I start working on them with any frequency. I figured the last job I had that had occasional Sunday work might have been 30 years ago. And I emphasize occasional - this job, I'm working a lot of Sundays. 

Whatever, I got busy first thing this morning getting stuff ready to go - laundry and attempting to decide what to take with me.  I also fired up the new smoker and the turkey is already in it.  I don't figure it will be done until 6pm at the earliest.  It's a big turkey and it's going to take something like 25 to 30 minutes per pound to cook.  Guess 30 minutes, that's 9 hours minimum.  But, 6 pm works, I won't have to go to bed until around 8:30.  Time enough for it to rest, eat, cool off, cut it up, put it away and get some packed for the road.  Well, get a lot packed for the road, you don't have a fresh cooked turkey every day.  Or even every month. 

Of course, that is..if...it turns out right.  They talk about bacteria growing on it for the length of time it has to cook, I'll keep the temp higher than they recommend so we don't all get sick and die lol. 

_______________
No clue about the turkey.  It's cooking, lol, in the smoker, what it will turn out like is unknown. It's currently at 145 degrees internal temperature, so a couple more hours to go at the rate it's been cooking.  Which would be great.  Some of the skin is black.  Oh well, peel off the skin, good as gold.  It will still have the nice, smoke flavor. This smoker isn't good for a piece of meat that large.  I would need a much larger smoker to effectively cook the turkey without having it burn up.  Smoking is a learn-as-you-go type of thing. A hobby in itself and an art, acquired competency over time and experience. 

But, my laundry is done, a few minutes left to pack the bag, get it into the vehicle and - not have to deal with that at 4:00 am.  Or, like I like to say it, 4 o'clock in the morning.  Hopefully turkey turns out edible, otherwise I have fresh chicken wings ready and waiting to cook if necessary. 30 minutes or so cook time.  I have to admit when i first start trying to smoke something different that I have never tried before, I don't necessarily call it dinner.  It may turn out to be acceptable for dog food.  It may not be the best dish on earth, or by chance, it could turn out incredibly good.  I've had results on both ends of the spectrum and in the middle.

I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for a Sunday drive of around 600 miles.  I could say I hope for detention - which has happened numerous times, but it's nothing to count on. One driver went up there a few weeks ago and was stuck up there for 7 days.  I would absolutely love that from a pay point of view. 













No comments:

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...