Tuesday, February 18, 2020

So I'm sitting here at my computer desk a few minutes ago and I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize.  For at least a year, I have been ignoring the parade of phone calls I get on a daily basis that are spammers either offering a "cash offer" for my home or insurance schemes. But lately, I decided to answer the calls and see if I can get some of this crap from calling me, for ignoring the calls have definitely not made them go away.  

Especially the calls from people claiming they want to buy my house. Yesterday I answered the phone and they wanted to make a cash offer, I said how much? Well first we're going to have to ask you some questions. NO thank you. Oh, ok. Perhaps they'll mark it as a dead lead?  I ain't giving them any information.

Anyway, I answered this call as well. Hello? Hi, is this Ben? Yes it is.  This is - whoever, I don't remember his name - some corporate dude out of Ohio with my company - and we wanted to let you know that Ann is no longer working with the company.  Not that was shocking.  I just talked to her in  her office a few days ago, it was obvious she wasn't expect that news today.  But that's what happens when you get a smaller company taken over by a large corporation. They don't care about you, your life or anything that goes on in the company that directly affects you by their decisions.  That has been my experience in the trucking industry and I never expected this place to be any different.

But it still took me completely by surprise. My manager was fired.  She kept her ideals from the old company - which was a far superior company - and wouldn't let go of them. I don't know the specifics of why she was fired, the dude refused to tell me and yes I asked, specifically.  He gave the same old generic " the company wants to go in a different direction" reply that I've heard about people getting fired my entire life.  Ann was  making some waves.  She would give them information and they would reject it, make arbitrary decisions and then she would be forced to deal with the aftermath. 

I just texted my friend Taylor and told her she should apply for the position. She would stand to make a lot more money - albeit a lot of stress and bs - but the money and benefits would be worth it.  She is good with people, she is very much into office/clerical work, organized, a natural at giving out directions, would do an excellent job at it.  Plus she could work off-site here and there. Not every day but they allow it.  

______________

I talked to Ann. Called her, she wasn't fired as the man that had called me originally intoned. She was given severance pay - that isn't being fired. I mean, she wasn't wanting to leave, they just told her they want to take a new route and that was that.  The new route - direction - I'll be very interested in seeing. This new company is cheap, if they think they are going to take a new direction in lowering wages, I'll be leaving.  

Anyway, it's bedtime.  I have a run tomorrow.  Oklahoma. Not the Brownsville I was hoping for, but considering the caustic relationship I had with this "new" manager I'm being subjected to now, I am just going to keep my mouth shut, she can do whatever, I'll ride it out or find a new job. 
 


No comments:

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...