Friday, February 28, 2020

So.
They are talking about moving.  James and Taylor I am referring to. And when I say moving, I don't mean down the street and around the corner.  Some of the places mentioned were Colorado, Missouri and - wherever else.  To be honest, I think I could get used to living in Colorado as long as it's near where the Rockies literally spout out of the ground, such as Colorado Springs.  They're bummed because of the job situation here.  They think they can find better paying jobs in green pastures.  I dunno, I doubt I'm going to find a better paying job than what I have going right now anywhere else.

But right now it's just talk.  Still, when Taylor gets a mind to do something, it's not going to be shocking if she eventually does it.  She was asking me if I were moving with them?  Well I dunno but I have a few other friends around here, but nothing extensive.

Speaking of the job, I met the Director of Operations today.  Over the entire company actually. He was in filling in now that Ann is gone.  I had heard his name before but never met him.  We get into a very long, involved conversation about the industry.  `It was interesting, they are planning on expanding the terminal, as some rumors have been floating around. Basically having some other operations coming and going out of there as well.  So my question eventually came out: if that happens can we do some cross training of other product and get involved in delivering that too? Because we go through these slow periods with the Ethylene.

Yes, in fact I have to turn down loads now.  Of what? LNG.  He was, actually, inviting me to haul LNG right now.  I can do that.  That is what I hauled in PA during that blizzard to Amhurst college.  No training whatsoever, just haul away! He got a shocked look on his face when I told him I had hauled the stuff without any training at all.  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

However, in order to be able to do that in Texas, you have to take a test through the Texas Railroad Commission.  Don't ask me, I have no idea why one would have to take a test through the railroad commission to haul LNG in a truck.  Well, the study guide is fully 175 pages long.  Gag.  Here's the real kicker: You have to go to Austin, TX to take  the test. He said there was one in Dallas as well. Well whatever, 275 miles to Austin, 155 miles to Dallas. Why not go to Austin? I'll get paid by the mile to go there in my own vehicle.  But the 'scary' part is, what happens if you fail? You can try one more time in the same business day.  But, I can't be just driving back and forth to Austin if I happen to fail the test and have to go back to studying more.

I tried to find practice tests online for it - couldn't find any.     

But I'll figure it out.  Going to Walmart tomorrow, getting new ink cartridge and printing out the 175 page book to study.  Or do it online.  But that much content I'd rather read on paper.



No comments:

  Thursday - early They just left for the school bus. We decided that the bus would, indeed, make it to school on time and that would be tha...