Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Feedjit/Boeing

I was over at Fin's journal and saw the Feedjit thing he put on there - seems to me the next best thing to what JS used to have in being able to see all of your visitors for that day, and on your blog, the last 10. Well, whatever. I just put that up.

I just read this rather long article about Boeing's intention of ridding itself of fully 10,000 employees. I remember when those machinists went on strike - and even made an entry on my JS journal about it - that they shoud be THANKFUL they even have jobs and can the BS with pay and all that jive.

They shot themselves in the foot and stuck a toilet plunger up their rear. Nice going, Boeing Machinists Union - you are mostly responsible for the reason that 10,000 of you folks are going to lose your jobs.

BenB is NOT clapping. I thought they were idiots then, I think that now. Boeing is a good company - my brother works for that company over in Mesa (AZ of course) building those crazy helicopters for the military. I have NO clue whether his division will be affected by this, and if so, whether he faces a job loss as well.

He has survived several layoff bouts in the past when it was McDonnel Douglas - I hope he gets through it this time as well, if it even hits there.
I'm still reeling at the staggering loss of jobs: 10,000. That's a LOT of jobs and a LOT of people that are going to lose good paying jobs for - what? There ain't nothing out there, Jack. You wanna work at Burger King, great, otherwise, good luck with that.

I feel a little more trepidation every single day when I see this continuing parade of job cuts coming from all kinds of different companies that exist in all different trades/services/whatever. My company continues to either lay people off or simply not rehire for those that leave on their own. You think I'm not sitting here fretting along with everyone else? I am not consumed by it, no way - I won't go that far with it - but I definitely think about it and often.

How many hundreds of millions of dollars worth of yearly pay does 10,000 jobs equal? Or is that in the billions? We don't wonder why the economy is totally trashed right now, we see how it's only going to get worse when news like this is unleashed upon an already tense, nervous and hurting society and economy.

And with that, I continue on with my campaign to store up food stuffs. I am now putting it in another location besides my kitchen for fact of certain tenant eating my food. Okay, eat my food - but only that which I have for the week at hand, not the stuff I am using to store up for a potential catastrophe in the near or not-so-near future. I dunno - but I don't want to starve finding out.

Fry's is having yet another awesome sale on things I will be dumping into that little storehouse. They got this deal where you buy 10 items and the price varies - but the Hormel chili goes down to 50 cents per can, a LARGE box of Captain Crunch goes from almost 4 per box down to $1.50 and a lot of other things. Hey, cereal lasts a long time in storage, it's one of those things recommended to buy for such an endeavor. You have to buy 10 - and it can be mixed - anything that's on the 10-for sale you can buy as long as there's 10 of them. Not 9 and not 11, I found out the hard way. You can buy 20, 30 whatever, that's how they're doing it. They've never done a sale like this before, but the savings are QUITE substantial.

Well, anyway, I hate to see Boeing going through the same crap as everyone else. It doesn't make sense - it does but geeze. I have never been in a union, so maybe I'm just ignorant. I just don't see unions going on strike when one of the worst economic environments ever is occuring. What, they don't need the income? I have strong opinion about people who are making googles of money yet act like babies cause' they don't think they're getting a big enough piece of the pie - while the rest of the world around them is falling into the hell-hole of financial disaster.

I think I'll stop that at this point, because the more I think about it, the more outrageous their actions become - my view of it anyway.

Sighhhhh. I'm just glad to still be employed.
No Mary report today, either, I haven't seen her as she hasn't been home. Ken - left who knows where before I got home, Wednesday and Thursday are his version of a weekend. I did speak to Ken today on the phone as he had left me several messages last night wanting to know what happened in court. I missed the calls cause' I had the ringer turned off when I was in court yesterday and forgot to turn it back on until this morning.

ben

12 comments:

Fin said...

Starbucks just announced 6,700 layoffs. They are closing many of their outlets. Circuit City, a popular electronics sales outlet here, is closing.

Glad you added the gadget to your blog. It sounds like a long time till next Tuesday somehow. I was in a house recently with a walk-in pantry just FULL of food. Wondered if they had the same thoughts you do about hoarding it.

Fin said...

My "buddy" is parked tonight in Wolcott, Iowa at the "worlds largest truckstop{. Ever stop there?

BenB said...

Yes, I remember that place - it's been mid 90's since I was there. I don't know if it's really the world's largest truck stop, more like Iowa's largest, lol. Then again, it's been a long time since I was there!
I haven't checked in a while to see if he was back up and running - did he say what was wrong with his truck?
Umm, I'm not exactly hoarding food, just getting a foodstuff enough going to last a couple or 3 months worth. Dunno, the word hoarding doesn't sound good!
I'm finding a lot of widgets you can add to your blog. I found a Google search widget that lets you do a search within your blog, only. Added that one and may be adding more.
What do you think of the "new" JS? Have you gone back and opened up a username there yet?
Just curious. I'm not a fan of it - at all.

becomingkate said...

Great deal on cereal! But a big box would run us $7. I'm happy to get it on sale for $4!

Sunny said...

I've had "my " Feedjit on my blog for quite awhile now, and like it alot.

I also have a cool "bookcase!" Run your mouse over a book, and it tells a little something about that particular book. :)

I'm having fun here adding new layouts too..Blogger makes it so easy!

I have posted a few entries on JS2 but am devoted to BlogSpot!

I think it's a wait and see kind of thing if the new JS will be any good....and then there are the weird no name blogs, but yet with a sign-in name.

I just like it here. :)

Come on over and visit me sometime!

BenB said...

Kate: A box of cereal for $7? Better have 10 pounds of food in it for me to buy it for THAT much!
Judy: I frequent your "One Line Blog" or whatever you called it - just didn't realize I hadn't clicked on the follow your blog thing.
Ben

Dorrie said...

I had that feedjit thing on for a while on my old JS but it caused problems then. And it keeps showing me from different German cities every time! lol no, I don't move around that much, it's just where the internet seems to connect... it's still me.

It makes you wonder what WORK those 10,000 people did that they can be dropped so "easily"... did they just sit around twiddling their thumbs? How does their work get done now?

And I sometimes agree about the union complaint. Over here we today have a strike of our train system and Lufthansa! I'm glad I'm not traveling right now. That stuff doesn't warm the passengers to the reasons behind the strike (more money and better work conditions).

susananne said...

Its so bad here too, people being laid off each day.I hope it settles down soon, am i living in hope?

Fin said...

Initially he said tranny, but later it seemed like it might have been more. Tonight he is coming into Columbus Ohio and it looks cold, dark and miserable.

Benita said...

Last night they announced on TV that the US Postal Service will probably soon cut back to a 5-day mail delivery, as they are "in the red". They think "Tuesdays" will be cut from the mail schedule when it happens.

BenB said...

Dorrie: The only thing it seems to be doing here is slowing down loading the page - but not enough to want to get rid of it.
I had the same thoughts about 10,000 people - I mean, they must be shutting something down, or a lot of somethings, you would think.
Never worked for a union, but I've seen strikes that I thought were just ridiculous. I think having a strike while a global economic disaster is going is just plain stupid.
Benita: nothing wrong with hope - better hope a lot more like you have it, cause when we lose hope, all heck breaks loose.
Fin: Figured a tranny or engine problem to shut a truck down for days. I don't envy any of you peeps in all those unbelievably cold states. I suppose you don't envy me when it's 115 here.....
Benita: I saw that, but I had thought they said weekend delivery. Odd day to cut out - Tuesday - when most businesses are open.

Benita said...

Yes, I thought so, too. They explained by saying Tuesday is the day with the least amount of mail in transit.

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...