Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday/The Mary Factor

My apologies to the new readers to my blog, there are certain things I write about that I just take for granted that everyone knows what's going on.

Mary would be one of them. In July of 2008, I placed a room rental ad in Craigslist. This particular ad had a header that included the following: "Work for reduced rent". I wrote up my "normal" ad and then added a descriptor of the work factor. A person could move in and do some work around the house and get $100 knocked off their monthly rent. No, I remember now, I stated the rent could go as low as $250 per month depending on how much work the person did, but that regardless of how much work the person did, the rent would not go below that number.

So, I'm sitting here thinking about that and decided the next day to delete that ad. People had responded to the ad, but not for the work, they just liked the location. My location is a mile away from a huge industrial park where lots of people are employed, and then 3 more miles away a lot more of it. I'm maybe 8 miles at most to downtown Phoenix. I thought that having someone working around here could potentially create huge problems in a person attempting to determine how much work is worth how much money. Decided I didn't want that kind of headache and did go ahead and delete it.

So Mary responds via email to the ad. Yada yada yada, and she comes over to take a lookittheplace. This was like a week after I had placed and deleted that reduced rent ad and then immediately placed a "regular" ad. So, Mary looks around and then we sit down at my kitchen table to start talking. I insist on having some time to talk the person - the longer the better - to get a feel for what they're about. Mary is a very crafty person, has been down the street and around the block several times, at least. She didn't reveal or say anything that would send up any flags.

At the end of the conversation she brought up the reduced rent. I was surprised because she never said anything about it in her email and waited until the last to say anything about it. I informed her I had deleted the ad because I thought it would create the potential for problems, but then said it would be okay. Why not - see what becomes of it. Live and learn type of thing. I very clearly stated at that point that I could NOT go below $300 per month. She changed her mind and said she didn't want to do that, anyway and would just pay me the regular rent.

She moves in, and then goes out front to start working. Said she wanted to do some work to lose some weight.

Well, I'll give Mary credit that her work has accomplished a lot of stuff around here. Mary is an insomniac - she'll often be up late at night, working on her room or working outside or doing something. Mary started in on that dirt thing that was called my front yard and plugged away at it in the heat of July, August and several more months, in fact, really, all the way up to now, levelling it, picking up rocks from the back and carrying them out front, and planting some plants.

Meanwhile, of course, issues with rent started to unfold with her. She paid a small amount and then it was two MONTHS before I got anything else. I was wishy-washy as to whether to keep her or chuck her out - she was doing a LOT of work, yes, but money is more important for my situation. Still is.

I also ended up getting all those plants during this time. I planted most of them, actually - she did plant quite a few out front, but I planted them around the side and the back of the house and decided to plant some of the ones I wanted for the front out there as well, including digging that giant hole for that 36 inch box tree - that took days and days of digging in that rocky ground.

The problems with Mary are her lack of feeling that rent is of any importance and some of the bizarre behavior that she exhibits from time to time, though recently, much more frequently. Last night, Ken (the other room mate) and I were sitting out here talking it up. Ken will sit there and talk for hours and hours if you are in the mood for it - last night I was in the mood. Ken perfectly HATES Mary. Mary is quite intolerant of him, though he's not done a friggin' thing to her.

So, he brings up the subject of Mary. He is talking VERY loud. I'm thinking Mary can hear this conversation - and I'm thinking that's a good thing, she can get an uninhibited feel for what people are thinking of how she's acting around here. Ken is just a loud speaker - that's normal for him. In the course of this conversation, I remembered that Mary had placed a deadbolt on her new door and hadn't given me a key. I LOUDLY brought up the fact that if that thing wasn't removed by today and a regular door handle be put in there, AND I get a key, I was going to drill that sucker right out of there and leave the door open.

Lol. Mary leaves and comes back later with a new doorset in hand. I have yet to receive a key, but I expect that to be coming shortly, or I will be drilling that out of there as well. I had informed Mary that a deadbolt inside of the house on a bedroom door looks very tacky. I'll give Mary credit that between her and the guy she hired to come in and do the work, the door, the frame and all of it is looking pretty good at this point. Even Ken was admiring the handiwork. So, I gave loud kudos to Mary as well for all the quality work she has done around here - since we had a good half hour plus at her expense talking about the crap she's been doing. I figure Mary heard most of the important things. Will that actually do anything to change her behavior? Who knows.

The conversation then changed. Ken is an atheist. I don't ask people for their religious credentials when they come into my house. If a person is an atheist and wants to engage in a conversation like that with me, that person will be hearing in great detail the things of the Lord and my view of it. We hashed that one out without getting into a fistfight for well over an hour. Lol. In the real world, I am not going to talk an atheist out of being and athiest and and athiest is not going to be talking me out of my Christianity. So, we left that conversation on the table just before it might start getting heated up, but it was an interesting dialogue. It was actually a very interesting night last night. Ken wanted me to take him to a Karoake bar. No thanks, not into it.

So it's Saturday. A couple of NFL games slated for later on (it's still early, I go to bed early every night, even on the weekends 99% of the time) and I will definitely be watching all however many hours of it.

I'm watching Tank again. I haven't watched this dog in a long time. He's got more energy than 10 of me. He's a little over a year old and is a Boxer mix. Mostly Boxer. I started my techniques with him again immediately last night when the owners dropped him off. I'm not dissing them - but they have no clue how to train a dog. I would have to say that most people don't. Without using "violence", I had him sitting and laying down within the first hour. Right now, he's sitting with the rest of the dogs - all lined up staring at me. I had all 5 of them lined out last night in a row. Dogs are allowed to go crazy - OUTSIDE, not inside. Tank is one of those untrained dogs that does whatever he pleases wherever he pleases to do it. At least he's housebroken. It's a short gig, but I'll take it. I'll take whatever pennies I can get on any kind of side job right now.

I'm just waiting for the sun to come up. I have several things I want to do outside including planting this little pine tree I bought at Home Depot during Christmas. It cost all of $3.99. It doesn't like the little cup it's in and I need to get it into the ground before it starts dying. I have another one, a little bigger, as well. It was on sale more than half off the day Christmas was over. I have no further need of plants, I want trees now. Not that I can afford them, but if some place has a really good sale on them, I'll spend the dollars to get one. I'm also wanting to take down that fencing I put up to keep the dogs out. It's very unsightly and now that I have the chain link fence up - even if only temporarily - the dogs cannot get over there. They have tried, it's a MUCH larger and stronger fence and I effectively have my dog free zone. I will be happy just getting that stuff done this weekend along with my normal weekend cleaning chores. There will be football on and the only thing that is going to stop me from watching it is if Direct TV goes out or the power goes out. Then I'll get into my car and head up to a sports bar and sit there for half a day if I have to!

I think this entry has gone on long enough. C'ya later and - have a great Saturday!
ben

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found with most dogs that they really do want to learn often sometimes eager. They are pleasers. Upon thinking this through though I did have a little weenie dog years ago that was a little WARPED! She was a destroyer :)

Happy football watching!

BenB said...

Actually, this dog was visibly happy in having to do what he was told, as strange as that may sound -- dogs are animals, not humans. We tend to look at our pets as furry humans and sometimes treat them that way.
I have friends who have those little things - those dogs are crazy!

Fijufic said...

Enjoy watching football. I wish I could figure out the issues with Mary however.

My all time favorite dog is a boxer.

Benita said...

Thanks for the explanation of Mary. I'm now wondering about Ken. Is he another renter? I own a 6-yr. old dachshund; not a miniature, but standard size. He's loveable around me and my friends/family; however, he has the bark and angry personality of a mad Doberman if a stranger enters the place...until he sees whether that person is friend or foe. I took him to obedience school, and he actually can sit, shake, lie down, and follow most common commands. They DO love discipline. Most owners try to "baby" this breed because they are "needy" and somewhat cuddly. If you get control of them (as JohnO used to do when he'd visit), you will see a different side.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobby:
Kinda hard to figure out a person that makes themself inpenetrable in that realm on purpose. She's just a person that has a lot of issues - and when the issues come out, they come out in a rather intolerable manner. I have to wonder if she isn't bi-polar or have some other similar thing going on because her mood swings can be very profound and happen very quickly. Sweet as cherry pie when she's in a good mood, the 7th circle of hell when she's in a bad mood.
Boxers are cool - but my favorite breed is the Great Dane!

Benita: Ken is a newer renter. Moved in about 6 weeks ago. I'm having 2 renters right now. I would love to be able to narrow that down to 1 renter, but it isn't in the cards right now.
Yes, dogs need and really want a disclipined atmosphere. I have read volumes of information all over the internet about the "theory" of the pack leader. If you, the human don't take that position, the dog naturally must. When the dog is the pack leader, then YOU are the follower and that dog will feel it can and will do whatever it needs/must/cares to do when it feels like it.
ben

Benita said...

Thanks for that explanation, Ben. I never thought of it like that. Makes sense! You just have to show 'em who's boss, I guess! :)

Sunny said...

You are a brave soul for renting your home to strangers!

That was interesting about 'Mary.' Thanks for sharing part of your life with us, Ben.

Enjoy your football games!

Hey! Did ya hear? The Gators won the championship and beat Oklahoma. :)

Have a great weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

Benita: Yes,something like that!

Judy: Football hasn't started yet. Nervously waiting for game time to arrive.
Gators fans EVERYWHERE! Cool!
Thanks, and you too!
ben

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...