Monday, June 1, 2009

The Potential Tenant.............

...............DID call. I gave up on her, actually, and was going to write the other person a note about holding the room - for a small deposit. At least a post-dated check if nothing else.
She did NOT say she was coming today. Something allegedly came up with her parents. Tomorrow doesn't work, either. No, Wednesday. Perhaps my good feeling about this is starting to vanish into thin air. I hate to put another potential off for a person that is - continuing to miss appointments. This is twice now. She claims she has Wednesday off and that would work for her. I said okay - I did not say, however, that if she puts me off on Wednesday, I will not be wanting to hear from her again.
Meanwhile, I was outside watering every plant on the property. I did a deep watering this weekend - but it's not enough in this heat. A light watering pretty much every day is necessary.
It started with the pine tree that I planted this weekend. IT must be kept wet. I see no other way for it to survive than to keep it wet for - quite a while actually - until it decides whether it's going to live or die.

I have another tree I bought some time ago that's just sitting in the plastic pot it came in. I have not been able to decide where to plant it. I think a particular naysayer about that kind of tree sort of gave me the idea that putting it anywhere where I want shade in the future may not be a good idea.

However, my senses returned to me. The tree grows a 20 to 30 foot canopy if it survives and grows to maturity. It grows up to 40 feet tall. I did not get that information from the naysayer, I got that information from the tag that came with the tree - which also has a picture of a mature version of it. IF it dies, certainly will be easy enough to dig out since it's not that big and the roots take quite a lot of time to take hold, anyway.

I have therefore decided it belong somewhere near the pine tree I just planted. Since this one has a much smaller trunk, it will go into just before where the driveway meets the wall at a V type of angle. Or perhaps a Y type of angle is more appropriate. That tree should easily survive being planted since it will come out as a whole unit out of the plastic container, unlike the pine tree that was dug out of the ground.

So, the handyman returned my email, asking to see photos of all of it, thusly hoping to make an estimate without actually having to come out. I haven't gotten that far yet - watering plants took priority. Oh, I'm referring to the holes in the wall left behind by Mary, along with accompanying gobs of spackling.

I was amazed to see news of the Airbus going down today. Well, assuming it went down - obviously it went down - apparently into the ocean. The reason being is because I have been watching videos just like that "alleged" crash for several weeks now on YouTube - I do an Air Crash Investigation search and all kinds of stuff comes up. It's a series hosted by National Geographic of commercial aircraft disasters - the crash, the aftermath, the ensuing investigation.

If I had life to do all over again, I would most certainly be a pilot. I would have joined the Air Force after High School and then would have eventually become a commercial jet pilot. That is a line of work that I would find endless pleasure in. I have watched every aspect of it, over and over and over, even the unbelievably long checklists? I would love every moment of it.

I do feel, however, bad for those families that I would have to assume at this point have lost their loved ones on that flight. I can't imagine the horror.........

And then there's the rest of the news, nothing worth wasting my time going into.

I have brats and chicken breast grilling - think I need to tendtoit.
ben

3 comments:

Fin said...

I would have loved to have been a professional pilot too, were I not color blind. It kept me out of the AF Academy and Navy OCS.

I am grateful however that I have been able to fly privately. Have logged over two thousand hours of pilot-in-command time and another over two thousand as a passenger.

With two supersonic flights and hands-on landings on six continents, I have some experience that even professional pilots do not.

becomingkate said...

I've always been fascinated by flying.

BenB said...

Fin: Very nice - I know you're into that kind of thing. I used to do a lot of flying back and forth around the country - those days are long gone. I've always wanted to fly over the Atlantic - or the Pacific - or both.
Kate: Me too - I can sit at an airport and just watch planes taking off and landing and be quite entertained by it for hours.
ben

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...