Sunday, May 2, 2010

How Far Is This Going To Go?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get very concerned about this oil that is gushing into the Gulf of Mexico - there's talk now that currents could carry it out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Well, I don't think marine life lives to well in thick oil, meaning if this thing isn't contained soon, it could literally affect the entire planet. How is it that they don't have viable contingency plan if/when something like this happens? How are they going to get all of that oil out of the water? What is with Obama saying it's BP's problem? At the rate it's going, it's going to be the planet's problem and the Federal Government better think again about dumping responsibility onto a company that has limited options when compared to the Feds.

This Obama guy is a real piece of work.

Well, I won't say anymore about it, it's some pretty frustrating stuff to listen to that guy saying much of anything.

I just finished my bio-filter and have it up and running. The pump is only 130 gallons per hour, but that's what these people say it needs, nothing more than that, so, no big deal. It uses very little electricity. I haven't gone to any sites yet to see about whether getting plants right away is a good thing or not.

Long break. Army tenant gone, I decided to take a nap in that room and see what kind of noise filters through the wall from the living room. Nothing great - but you can hear the TV. Hence my rules at night - TV is kept low volume if tenant is here.

I also found a pond club in this area online. Not that I am going to start going to pond meetings, I wanted to see pics. Gawdy. That's all I can say. People using river rocks in their ponds. I am a big-time HATER of gawdy-looking river rocks. They used to be extremely popular in these parts in the 70's, but then the age of exotic looking landscaping rocks came into existence (and a rather large, local industry to facilitate such) and river rocks became a thing of the past.

People who still have them get rid of them. You will see them posted on Craigslist - river rocks, free come and get them. NO THANKS. Well, almost all of these ponds in the pics I was looking at are using giant and medium sized river rocks. Use a little creativity, will ya? I lined my ponds with the rocks I got from up north already. MUCH better looking than those ugly river rocks. I will need at least as many as I brought home to finish the project. I didn't figure I had gotten enough, but the place I had pulled over? I pretty much fished them all out of there.

I'm also using the rock I have dug up out of the ground. Those rocks are good looking, too - just not near as good looking as the rocks I brought from the mountains.

My concern in going to this page was to find out about keeping water cool. As I had suspected, a good waterfall is paramount to cooling water in the summer as the water cascades down the rocks. I may end up building one a bit larger than I first anticipated. They also say to use a lot of water lillies to cover the top of the pond and also to do bi-weekly water changes. Not FULL water changes, 10-20%. No waste of water there, I can pump it directly onto my nearby plants. Shade is also helpful - I might put some posts in the ground and simply use my nursery grade shade screen to keep the direct sunlight off of it.

The point? I have barely just gotten started on this project,really, lots left to do. My ponds will not be good for Koi, but should be okay for goldfish. Not deep enough. I found this out going into this, not a big deal to me. I don't want too many fish anyway. Maybe 2 per pond. I DO want a lot of water plants, of course, me being the plant lover that I am and finding a woman that is selling them $2 each doesn't hurt, either. No, if I end up wanting a Koi pond, I will do that on down the road after I get a little experience with these 2 small ponds. Then I will construct a MUCH larger pond at up to 2,000 gallons.

For now? Very happy with the little ponds, when they are completed, they shouldn't be too time consuming on maintenance and, of course, very lovely to both look at and listen to.

No comments:

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...