Friday, July 23, 2010

Tenants/Truck Drivers

Pretty much an on-going thing, but I am learned to read the "BS" that is coming out of people.
The female tenant that has been paying me weekly just lost her job.
She has gone to work late, she has gone to work after being out all night long - tired, she is screwing up, bad.
This is the one that is coming off of meth.
I will be observing her for signs of fresh meth use.
She was written up no too long ago for forgetting to put in an order. The customers had waited 45 minutes and then started complaining. She was written up after that for the tired stuff.

How do you expect to perform well at work if you've been out all night long?
There are more things, but the plain, simple, fact of the matter is that I am probably going to have to evict her and now? I am now waiting for weeks to "find out" if they are going to get a job anymore. I have bills to pay - very high electric use and water bills are always higher in the summer.

I cannot, in other words, afford to have sympathy. I MUST have the money
coming in from that room. As time goes on, I have far less patience with people who are screwing up their own lives and then, by their own admission of doing something that cost them - in this case their job - expect me to wait around, have the room occupied, costing me money and KNOWING I won't see ANY of what is owed to me.

She asked when you can apply for unemployment. I said right away. In fact, you could do it today. No, she wants to go look for a new job. Well, that's nice, but provides for me a further glimpse of what her MO is. If I lost my job, the FIRST thing I would do is to head to the unemployment office. It takes 2 weeks (at least) to get the first check, an in this economy, finding a new job? Good luck. She went in her room to mope, I am guessing since she was crying out here.

Look, if she had been laid off from work, that would be one thing, but she was FIRED for - screwing up. I mean, the stuff she has done isn't something that was out of her control: ALL of it was IN her control.

She is just a bit over a week late in her rent. She gave me $33 today before she left. I was glad to get that, she would have given me nothing, undoubtedly, if she had been fired before giving me that money.

No, I don't see any hope here. This is a person with serious, personal issues and it isn't going to work out.

Look, pretty much expect this stuff. I find good tenants here and there, but there is always the bad apple. Deal with it and move on.

Welcome to the weekend, aye?

Here's some good news, for me anyway: the temps have cooled WAY off and the electric use has gone down proportionately. I'm looking at a $13 to $14 day in electricity instead of $18 to $20. Bad time for tenant issues, is all I can say about that. But then again, when is a good time? Well, the dead of winter when neither ac nor heat is running........

Numerous times in the past, completely changing the subject, I have tried to alert other truck drivers to problems with their truck or load that they are unaware of. EVERY single time, I get these drivers giving me attitude.

Case in point: a driver has left the cap off of his fuel tank. The tank is sloshing out diesel fuel all over the place. I wave at him and motion towards his fuel tank. He gives me "the look", throws his hands up basically asking me WHAT my problem is. After the tude', I continue to motion towards his fuel tank.

He finally stops the vehicle, gets out and sees the problem. Not hard to see with gallons of diesel fuel all over the ground and the fuel tank covered with diesel fuel. He settled down quite a bit after he realizes I am trying to HELP him, not start a freakin' fight with him. Do you know what they can do to him for having diesel fuel spilling out onto the ground? It's hazardous material, the fine, if a cop chose to give him a ticket, would be QUITE steep. With the new rules coming into place sometime this year, he would probably LOSE HIS CDL.

Another case in point: A truck is approaching me. It's in a private driveway, but still. He has a box door open. It is sticking out some 3 feet to the side of his vehicle. I am frantically waving at the dude - first he's about to hit my vehicle and second, whatever he hits, that door is going to be ruined and 3rd, he might also damage someone else's property or who knows what. Sign of a bad driver? Yes, all he had to do was look in his mirrors and he would have seen the door without my ever having to motion to him.

As it was, I ended up swerving out of the way, which finally clued him in that SOMETHING must be wrong. He FINALLY looks in his mirror - after giving me the look, throwing up his hands, acting like he wants to get into a fistfight, all of this stupid stuff - slams on the brakes, now has the gall to wave at me, gets out and closes the door.

So, today, I am a a stop light. Waiting to go under the freeway overpass, I was not getting on the freeway. A truck waiting for the left hand turn light to go green is facing me in the opposing lanes. He gets the green arrow, as soon as he starts moving, I see fuel gushing out the side of his 200 gallon tank (at least 200 gallons). You know how fast the mind can work - thinking through things in a fraction of a moment when something happens and you need to act, fast.

However, my mind went straight to the experiences in the past, why bother?
But, I couldn't do that. He was losing gallons of fuel, turning onto the freeway, this particular freeway and this particular part of the freeway he is getting on is a favorite haunt for Highway Patrol pickup trucks - whose almost sole mission is to pull over commercial vehicles and do inspections. IF one of THOSE guys/gals see that stuff, he is in BIG trouble.

I had to open up the door of my truck, hang out the side of it and wave my ararms to get his attention. When he saw me, I starting pointing down and towards the side of his truck. He was looking in mirrors, looking at me - but not with the attitude crap. He must have finally looked in his spot mirror and saw the problem, because a look of shock came over his face, he looked at me, waved, got out of the intersection and yes, stopped in the middle of the lane he was in on the on-ramp, temporarily blocking traffic to get out and put the cap on.

The caps have small chains on them, if you forget to put them back on, they still hang there, waiting for you to - yes, screw it back on.

I was reading about these new rules coming into place today. When the new rules come into play, they are RETROACTIVE. If this guy had been caught NOW with this situation, ina few months or whenever they put this into play, that little act of forgetfulness to put that cap on would instantly put POINTS on his record, the SAME as if you get a speeding ticket.

He was an older gentleman and I thought he might be old school, which is why I decided to go ahead and try yet again.

I am a very observant driver, you have to be in a truck, watching out for everyone else, because most of the other drivers are NOT watching out for you.

Weekend is here. A few work days this week were very slow. Umm, Monday and Tuesday, the last 3 days were nice and busy, just the way I like it (and would prefer it stay that way).

I let my plants go for 2 and a half days hoping some of these monsoons would hit around HERE and water the plants for me, but to no avail. So, I watered them today, but only for a short time, there is still the possibility of rain. A good soaking rain right now would be awesome!

Umm, this entry is getting long.

Have a great evening!
ben

5 comments:

Dorrie said...

sometimes I wonder if you'd be better off without the tenants, or at least have fewer ones. Less electric bill, less water bill, less trash, etc. etc.... not to forget less nervs being stressed. I honestly could not put up with so many strangers living in MY home!

Have a nice weekend! We finally got rains here last night... mother nature, and the farmers, really needed it!

Anonymous said...

Without the tenants,I lose the house, plain and simple. 1 fewer tenant is possible any time except now, during the summer. I am still looking for a part-time job, no luck yet.
We did not get rain - they call this the monsoon season!
You have a great weekend, too!
ben

Anonymous said...

It's tough with tenants. Wow. On KCL, it's down because the servers are shot. The Admin's home was struck by lightning and it apparently burned up the servers. This is reported on FB by friends, so it looks like it will be down a while. I go there from time to time to read a few blogs. Nothing more. Hope you are getting through this summer okay. It's so HOT where you live! My sister moved her family back to CA and the boys love that they can play outside again. But they did like Phoenix alot.

Dorrie said...

Wildstorm already wrote what happened to KCL... 3 of Matt's 4 servers got destroyed by a lightning strike at their home. No idea what other damage was done, but I'm sure KCL is not his no. 1 priority! ;-)

BenB said...

Wow, I did not know that about Matt and Susan. What a terrible thing to have happen to them! We've obviously had our differences but I would never wish anything like that upon them. I know what it's like to lose a home, no fun on that front.

Anita, yes, it is very hot here, or, it is humid AND hot. I pretty much hate living here but no-where on the foreseeable horizon can I expect to be able to leave. Further, I have no idea where I would go, I have lived in AZ since I was 10 years old excepting my missionary journeys for 5 years all over the U.S. and Mexico.

Yeah, Dorrie, I can imagine a blogging site and replacing servers aren't exactly on the top of the list of priorities.

ben

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...