Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Tenant

I am hardly going to say here that I am surprised at anything that tenants bring forth when it comes time to paying rent and - sometimes - one of them not paying it.

It is not pleasant business to have to get blunt with a person that is living in your home - which was my intial objection to engaging in such, long ago, but not now, not ever again. 

However, today's encounter was a new one on me.  I claim no life-long authority on this type of situation, I do claim a 2-1/2 year tenure in dealing with such and I am prepared for whatever comes against me, even such that occured today. 

For 2 weeks, the individual has told me he is going to pay back the $85 in arrears, today, he started a discourse.  His discourse was that he is supposed to be paying X amount per month and that today?  X amount has been paid.  He did not venture into the realm of "therefore I don't need to pay the other $85".

I did ask him anyway.  "So, are you saying now that you don't owe me the $85 that you missed 2 weeks ago?".  No.  He admitted such.  Then what, exactly, ARE you saying?  He "didn't understand" that he would have to pay "more" than the amount of rent accrued in one month.  Oh?  We are on a weekly deal here, you are paying by the week, not by the month.  If you were paying by the month, then you would pay me a month's worth of rent at the beginning of the month.

This is simple logic.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.  But this went back and forth for quite a while.  I ended the stalemate.  You owe me $85 in arrears PLUS this week.  That's a fact, you haven't disputed it.  If you can't afford to pay it up all at once, I'll work with you - pay it back in payments.  X amount over the weekly rent until you are caught up.

That was that.  He handed me a money order for the amount of $90 - $5 over what he owes for a week and that was that.  Oh, I see.  Well, if he didn't think he owed me more, why then did he give me more, even if only $5?  I didn't ask him that, but the reigns are going to be pulled much tighter on this individual.  He promised me the full amount owed for the past due and current due - but did not deliver it.  That has me on "flag".  Meaning, this guy is going to have to be pressed.

No biggies.  I can do that and will.  I have the advantage over a person that wants to get their own apartment: you going to do that, you don't want what I can put on your record.  That would be a judgment for forcible detainer/eviction.  A vast majority of apartment properties are going to reject anyone with such, or, force far more money down, like first and last month's rent plus deposit. 

I can't possibly write here the entire dialect between us, take too long.  It might be entertaining reading to certain individuals, however, I have had a full weekend and I think I've had enough. 

The fact of the matter is, it was the boost I wanted to get on with this computer project AND be able to pay my bills. The $325 water bill really hurt this month, I admit I have myself to blame, but that does not ease the pain.

Umm, so it's drawing to a close, the day that is and I have plenty to do. 

C'ya tomorrow.

ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monday:
I've been sleeping fairly well for several days in a row - until last night. Wake up at midnight, back to sleep around 3:30 am. I've gotten so used to not having enough sleep that I'm mostly able to perform at work anyway. If worse comes to worse,I take my 30 minute break in the form of a nap.

Fortunately, there is plenty to do today as well. A trip the Indian reservation; a delivery of copper material to another site and probably a trip downtown. That should eat up most of the day. I say fortunately because it is much easier to get through a work day when busy as opposed to not being busy at all.

Well, anyway. I was looking this morning at a "huge sale" by a company discount thing - the huge sale was not that huge and the components in the computers weren't anything even close to what I am looking at doing. I do admit some amount of trepidation at building a computer - I have never done one before - but the benefits outweight any cons. You just end up with such a far superior computer than what you are going to pay at the same price for an - inferior model. Upgraded processor; upgraded motherboard; upgraded video card.

Anyway, I'm just biding my time with this thing. I want to make sure my bills are covered before diving into this project, which I will probably do anytime now. Prolly not today for lack of sleep.

Election rhetoric continues to spew forth out of the garbage machines that manufacturer such filth. I say that for both sides. Dems are obviously afraid. I personally do not think it health that any one party control the House and the Senate plus a president in a 3-some of all 3-somes. They can basically do whatever they want, whenever they want to do it and there isn't much to stop them.

That is, until election day arrives and voters undoubtedly are going to create huge lines and large backups to even get to a poll. I do hope that doesn't sway anyone from taking however much time it takes to cast your vote, regardless of your political views. Let the people speak and let it be as much of the voting public as possible. I would love to get there early - but they don't open up until I'm already at work.

I don't know what happened to an entire entry I made yesterday, just sorta disappeared. I have decided that it is very possible to have a nice water garden without any fish in it for the small pond that I was going to get rid of. Just put an aerator in it and maybe a small pump - of which I have both already - to keep the water from getting foul and full of mosquitos. I also have plants I can break apart to use for such.

In other words, there is nothing I have to buy for such a setup, I already have everything. Where to put it poses an entirely different question, but I think I will put it out front where I was going to put a slightly larger pond for fish. I can put mosquito eaters in there and perhaps, maybe some small - very small goldfish as a stock tank sort of thing, but that's it. I think if set up right, it would look totally cool.

Also, I popped off the panel on the outdoor breaker box to take a peek inside - running a line off of that thing is going to be a piece of cake. I need to get that done soon. I would think about stopping at Home Depot on the way home today - but - again - I doubt I will want to do anything but go home and take a long nap this afternoon after getting off of work.

Well, work day approaches and I'm off to look at more "junk" in the news, lol.

G'day.

ben

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...