Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Well this is different.
Normally - always - when I come to this plant (Ilinois, 60 miles south of Chicago give or take) - I come to the plant, call them, they come out and get me and then wait, up to 7 hours, for them to offload the trailer.  This time? They have too much ethylene from the previous trucks that were here - 1 yesterday and 1 the day before that. They didn't tell me that tho, the man on the plant phone said he'd "let them know". An hour and a half later, I went back to the phone - it's outside the plant, you have to call them to get in - and then was told that information.

I'm closing in on 4 hours waiting outside this plant.  The man said "it'd be a while" lmao.  I know what that means, hours and hours...and hours.  And then, when they do finally get to the point they can take the product, it will be a minimum 3 more hours to unload it.  So, this 3 day trip highly likely going to turn into a 4 day trip, nothing I can do about it. But I'm getting paid to sit here and do nothing so I'm good with it, especially considering work has temporarily slowed down once again.

The funny part? Their rail cars showed up. They don't even need what's in the truck now.  I doubt they'll send me back, they're going to pay shipping costs regardless of whether they take it or not.  They started using rail cars to get rid of us and the higher costs of trucking it up here versus a rail car that can hold over 3 truckloads worth of product and lower shipping costs.  Plus we get paid to sit around waiting, that's even more expense. 

So, what to do? Listen to the impeachment trial of course. It's on right now and I'm listening to it on my bluetooth earphones. At least until I get bored of it, tho now it's Republicans turn, we haven't heard much from the Republicans in these proceedings, Schiff and Nadler have consumed most of the time. 

__________

7-1/2 hours now.  I'm ready for a hot meal.  If they don't come out and get me in the next hour or so, I"m going back to the phone and asking them what's up.  This plant is probably open 24 hours but that doesn't mean they unload trucks 24 hours a day. 

________________

Now 9 hours.  I've been dying for a cup of coffee all day long. I had one cup this morning, but I usually drink 2 or 3.  Plus it's cold out, just a good day to have a cuppa or two.  The plant won't let me in to do anything and now that I"ve been sitting here so long - on off duty status on the ELD - I'm only a couple of hours away from a full 10 hour reset.  Meaning I could drive all night long if I wanted to, which I don't, but just saying it would be a waste to throw that out the window to drive the 9 miles it would take to get to the nearest convenience store. Yes, 9 miles.  Lol.  I dunno why, but a lot of these chemical plants are built out in the middle of Nowhere, Egypt.  You'd think they would have a hard time finding people to live out in the middle of nowhere - but the pay is extraordinary. 

Meanwhile, Taylor sent me a video clip from the video camera.  I clicked on it - and watched a man walk by our house, drop his bag in front of the driveway and then just walk right up onto the porch.  We do not have a view of the porch - which will now be fixed with another camera - but the camera has audio and you could hear him trying to open the front door.  Just like that, just try to walk right into the house and presumably take whatever he could find.  My gold chains are well hidden - he'd have to do some serious searching.  But, there's video games and video consoles he could easily walk out with and other stuff that is worth money. 



















No comments:

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...