Saturday, November 6, 2010

That Was A Lot Of Work To Find Out That..............

..............this version of XP Windows doesn't allow more than 4 gigs of ram anymore than the original version.
However, I have FAR more stuff on here.  All kinds of graphics software - well it's a huge list of things.

It is, however, unacceptable. I must have an operating system that works with as much RAM as I have installed on this computer.  So, I will have to consider when I will buy Windows 7.  It's not if, it's when.  For now?  Not. I can live without it. I wanted to be sure that the new RAM I put in works - and, amazingly, there is a tester with all of this stuff I got with this Last XP that makes sure it does work.

Still, rather of a letdown.  I was hoping this OS would use all 8 gigs of RAM.  I have 4 gigs of ram sitting in this machine, idle, useless and doing nothing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Ben

Make sure if/when you buy Windows 7 that it's 64 bit Operating System which unlike 32 bit can actually use use more than 4 gig of ram (and not 32 bit, which I think that your XP is).

Cheers

Lynne
Western Australia

BenB said...

Hiya Lynne!
How's things going over there?
You guys out travelling around again?
I was going to ask about that at the store - now I don't need to,thanks for the info.
ben

Anonymous said...

G'day Ben

My hard drive crashed just recently and had to be replaced. Lost everything on it including email addresses. :(

Yep, :) had a couple of trips to the northwest as it was too cold down here in the south. Then it got too hot up there so had to head home again. Can't win LOL

We're in the process of selling this house and will be rebuilding a bit closer to Perth this time. It'll mean we will only be an hour's drive from family/friends, which will be great.

Take care

Lynne
Western Australia

BenB said...

Hiya Lynne:
I am all too well accomodated to hard crashes, the resulting aftermath and losing everything. It totally sucks, to be frank and honest about it, but it happens.
What is the housing market over there? I'm quite curious, I know what it is here and many parts of the U.S. - mostly not hospitable.
Well, I hope it all works out for you.
You folks take care as well.
ben

 A rep from the local TYM dealer got back to me via email, so we communicated back and forth. They are going to work up quotes for various p...