Sunday, October 31, 2010

New Computer

This entry is being written on my new computer.

I did not have extra funds to buy Windows 7, so, I am still using Windows XP. 
The thing is moving around the internet so much faster than my other computer, it is unbelievable. 

Using an "unbranded" machine is a whole new world for me.  I couldn't figure out why I couldn't access the internet - Qwest gave me a clue: ethernet driver isn't working, isn't installed, isn't.
They couldn't help me, but the did suggest it is the ethernet driver.

Great, please tell me where to find this driver and I'll be quite happy.

My thoughts turned to the motherboard.  If it's already in there, then the motherboard has to be responsible for it, could it be that the disc that came with the motherboard would help me along?

Ahhh, but yes, it could. Plugged that sucker into the DVD drive and there is was - the entire computer lit up with internet this, that and the other thing.  It took quite a while.  I will be playing with this computer for a while before I call it "done".  In fact, I am going to reformat this thing and try installing "The Last XP" version 17 tomorrow.  

BTW, I now SEE why I have such troubles whenever I have to buy a new keyboard.  This one is giving me heck.  My keyboard on the old computer is perfect for me, this new one is ridiculous.  There is an extra key on the ASDF line making the Enter key further  to the left.  A completely different design and I am having trouble with it because it's setup is so much different than the other keyboard.  I had no idea these companies were doing this stuff and I wouldn't have unless I were able to have 2 live keyboards sitting next to each other.

Well, anyway, I am running on "late" and frankly, the kids can have this keyboard and I will switch the other one over to this computer - when I have this thing dialed in, that is. 

G'nite.

ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monday

Well, I couldn't resist this morning to take another test drive on the new machine - so - I sorta ended up getting here, work that is, late. Not late is in clocking in late, just later than normal for my pre-work rituals, which are, btw, quite important to me.

I also can't seem to wake up. I slept a straight 6 hours, woke up at 3:00am in shock that I had even slept that long without waking up, then fell right back asleep. I'm just plain out of it right now, like I'm half awake and half asleep.

I hadn't driven the old car all weekend long so it was a nice development to find that the car's battery wasn't dead and it fired right up. Plus, with the new tires I can cruise on the freeway at the same speed everyone else is going.

The computer was the project of the weekend and it is - not done but it's up and running. I have to open it up and install the video graphics card today - no big deal. In fact, now that I have tried building a computer once, I can say that it is a pretty easy thing to do. The hardest part of building a computer is decided what to put into it - which is usually dictated by how much money you have to spend on it. Mine has 4 gigs of ram but this weekend I will be upping that to 8. I don't have any speakers for it yet, either. It also needs a computer table. Point? I have a few things left to go with it. I have a table that will work for it for now.

A new face of political - more junk undoubtedly - will be upon the horizon after tomorrow. This Reid v Angle thing is quite entertaining if nothing else. If Angle doesn't win it, you can't say it's because she didn't put forth one helluva effort.

Ummm, well I'm just sort of moving all over the place here. There is a giant fusion machine with accompanying generator that has to be delivered to a site way out east today. That will consume most of the morning if not all of it. The machine is downtown, takes an hour to load it and chain it down, it's at last an hour's drive out there, plus another 45 minutes to get it off the truck and an hour back - at least.

It's better than having nothing to do, let me tell ya. They are installing some HUGE pipe that will feed into the CAP - Central Arizona Project - canal. That's the giant canal that goes from the Colorado River all the way into the metro Phoenix area to supply this area with water. It doesn't supply all the water here, but it's quite a chunk of it, supposedly anyway. I haven't quite gotten the story as to WHY they are installing this pipe and where the water is either going to or coming from, but I'll try to get that information again today.

As for now? Read some more of the democrats and their finger-pointing back and forth as to who is to blame for what appears to be their power to do anything - anything that is except turn the economy around.

Lol.

G'day.

ben

Fijufic said...

Enjoy it Ben...

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...