Thursday, October 28, 2010

FaceBook Friends/Discount Tire

So, whoever wants to be Facebook friends - as was talked about in a previous post - that would be cool.  I am not giving out my personal info on here, but I'm sure there's some way to identify who is who through other means so that Facebook friend requests can be sent.

Okay, so, the old Buick has a pretty bad vibration.  I figure tires, what else could it be?  It could be a lot of things, but that car sat for what - 1-1/2 years?  I take it to Discount Tire.  The guy points at both front tires and says they are sun rotted and is probably the issue. Yes, I have driven semis with rotted tires, the tires come apart, actually, they blow up. 

Case in point:  JB Hunt.  I was doing that local job for them here in Phoenix.  They had just started a new contract so all of us drivers were new to the company.  They gave us OLD tractors.  I mean, they were 8 or 10 years old.  The tractor I ended up with had severely dry-rotted tires.  I pointed it out to several individuals that could do anything about it within the company - nothing.  I informed them that driving that truck on the freeway, fully loaded at 40 tons in 115 degree heat?  They are going to come apart.

They didn't want to listen.  I'm driving down the Superstition 60 at 65 MPH - the speed limit.  One of those tires literally exploded. took out the quarter panel.  It didn't cause any steering problems, but the cars around me were sliding SIDEWAYS on the freeway.  The explosion sounded like a bomb going off, these people were not expecting that and it caught them by surprise.  Fortunately, no crashes.  This occured 3 times before - yes - they replaced the tires on the truck.  It cost them far more money to not put on new tires than it did to hold out.

However, Discount Tire quoted me $185 for 2 tires.  My gosh!!! What is THAT all about?  The cheapest tire they had was $65. That means $55 for taxes, fees and whatever else.  Unbelievable.  No thanks.  I asked if they had any used tires, no.  Okay, well sorry to waste your time, I am not spending that much more money on this car. 

Tomorrow I will call every Discount Tire within 15 miles and see if any of them have a couple of good, used versions.  I have gotten some very nice used tires from Discount in the past. 

So, whatever.  Tomorrow is Friday. I was not able to leave work early today (I am 2 hours over my allotted amount per week) so, maybe tomorrow.  But, tomorrow is month end, I think.  Month end as in business days left in the month, not actually the 31st.  They are pretty rigid about the hours, only if it is completely unavoidable will I ever get any "OT", which it really isn't because it still wouldn't go over 40 hours. 

So, that's it.  I have nothing more.  Computer is on hold - til' I decide that I can really unload the much money and be comfortable with it.  Or, of course, this computer shuts down permanently.  This machine actually turns itself off now without warning.  I mean, I will be doing something on the internet and kabaam, it's done.  It turns itself back on, but, it isn't a good sign and yes, that's a new one on me. 

G'day.

ben

3 comments:

Pastor Larry said...

Rotten tires are no fun

Fijufic said...

I have seen most everyones FB pages including yours. I steer clear for the most part Ben. I think this is much more interesting than a sentence on FB.

Cheers,
Bobby

BenB said...

Lol, I have not been to any of your pages cause' I don't know how to find them. I don't write much on mine, to be honest, I would far rather do blog entries. I don't really let on too much info about myself on that forum, either.
No, rotten tires are no fun : (

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...