Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday 2/7/2011

Monday

Well, the Steelers did not make history yesterday, the Packers won the game, congrats to the Packers. Steelers let 2 TD's occur early in the game and that pretty much set the stage. Still, they DID make a comeback, just not enough.

So, the general manager sent me an email. I just got it here on my work account this morning. The company is promoting "Direct Deposit". No, folks, I don't do direct deposit. I haven't done it since it first started coming out. The reason is simple: the first time my paycheck wasn't deposited and took a week to get it "fixed" was the last time I did that. That was........I don't know how long ago. 15, 20 years? When did direct deposit start becoming popular?

So, am I ready to try it again? I guess I'm old fashioned, I would far rather have a paper check in my hand than invisible transactions going through phone lines. Not only that, but I have to make frequent enough trips to the bank, anyway. It's not like tenants are going to be making direct deposits to me.

Of course, when your general manager comes along writing you a personal email about it, then you might come to think that there perhaps is a bit of pressure to do it. The list of people in the AZ group that do not do direct deposit? Just me and one other guy, lol.

I don't do automatic withdrawals, either. I will NEVER do automatic withdrawals on any bill. If I find myself broke for some reason and that automatic thing comes and takes what I have left out of there, or worse, the money isn't available at all, baam, you get hit with OD fees or you are left with nothing. Okay, I have automatic withdrawal into my savings account. I can turn that off at any time I want, unlike automatic withdrawals to say a credit card company or some other revolving account.

So, what to do. I'm sure the GM doesn't want to hear about my objections to direct deposit. I can pretty much make that assertion without too much thought........

Anyway, the work day is almost here and there is absolutely nothing to do in the truck routing system, big bummer : (

But, it will be a beautiful day today : )

ben

2 comments:

Dorrie said...

I have been doing direct deposit since 1992 and have NEVER had any problems. I also use automatic withdrawals for important stuff that I MUST pay ontime, like rent, utilities, insurances, etc. I have to make sure it will be covered, of course, but it has to be paid anyway. Extra stuff I pay via online, but not necessarily automatic.

Paper checks don't even exist over here anymore... you pay either cash or online. The bank accounts systems are today pretty secure. I would be more afraid of losing the check before getting it cashed.

Anonymous said...

Dorrie, I have received a lot of ribbing over the years from co-workers cause' I don't do the direct deposit thing. I might be able to change my thinking about it for doing that, I will NEVER do automatic withdrawals. I have done those in the past and for someone that can and does go through financial issues from time to time, those automatic withdrawals can be a nightmare.
ben

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...