Monday, March 21, 2022

 Towing opportunity dissolved before my very eyes. Because I don't live in Shreveport, he can't use me.  He said he would contact his buddy in Texas that also has a wrecker operation.  I was seriously considering this as an opportunity to do something different and be home all the time, basically, or at least very close to home while at work.  I offered that I would stay in Shreveport while I am on duty, but apparently that wasn't good enough for him.  He wouldn't explain why I had to live over there, I only guessed that the reason is because they need people that are close to the yard to be available quickly for calls.  I could have rented a room over there - plenty of them available - for minimal cost. Heck, I could have rented a house and rented out rooms in the house - huge need for that as well - and have the house pay for itself. 

But, whatever. Back to square one and still looking for a local trucking job.  Towing almost always wants you to have experience before they will consider you. I've always wondered about certain industries where they want you to have experience. How do you get experience if they won't train you?  Lol.  What I'm doing now I never thought I'd get into because all of the companies I had contacted said they wanted 4, 5 whatever amount of tanker and hazmat experience before they'd hire me. I just got lucky this company hires anyone with tractor-trailer experience and will train anyone willing to learn. 

There was no equipment brought to the property, not yet anyway and with a forecast of potential tornadoes and definitely rain, I suspect he won't be having it brought over until later this week, at best. I was looking to see where a pond would go and I thought, well, it's kind of hard to determine that without the lots being mapped out first.  I think I know where I would want to put one tho. 

Yesterday, I was speaking with someone who said they have a friend who is moving to our town, but is staying in an RV temporarily. He said the guy couldn't find any spaces available in any of the RV parks in town and had to park at a place 30 plus miles away.  

The idea of having longer stays is interesting, but comes nowhere near the amount of revenues that overnights/short stays gives.  I might get away with $350 to $400 per month on monthly rates plus electricity, I can potentially make $900 per month on the same lot doing overnights.  I'd really like to get someone to move in there as a workamper who just has to greet new arrivals, clean up the lots when the guests leave and deal with any emergencies that might arise. It would eat up one lot space worth of monthly rent (and possibly still cost me money in paying a small paycheck), but it would at least have someone on site at all or most times.  

Whatever the case, I was just sent tomorrow's work dispatch. Ohio. Gag, another long run after getting back from one. And this run typically takes 4 days - well 3 full days and a 4th partial day. Simply because the plant will not unload the truck when you get up there, they make you wait until the next morning.  I think it's ridiculous that we are told we have to wait up there and not necessarily get detention pay. That company orders the product in advance, they know we will have to wait but they aren't expected to pay?  Very rarely they will have their tank empty AND someone there to offload it.  

I despise this run, lol.  Indiana is not a pleasant state to drive through.  The rest of the trip isn't bad, but Indianapolis is yucky and Indiana forces trucks to stay in the right lane on the Interstates. It's a lot of driving at slower speeds.  Almost guaranteed I will stay at the Super 8 down the road from the plant - I'm not a big fan of sitting around in a truck for anywhere from 14 to 18 hours depending on when I get up there. The super 8 is the only thing there that is under $100 and is at least half decent.  The rest of them are $139 and up.  There is a Buffalo Wild Wings right there, I love their wings and I can sit there for a few hours.  The only way I won't stay in a hotel is if I can get unloaded immediately or if something happens on the way up or at the loading plant and I don't get up there until late on Wednesday.  Last time, I got up there at noon and they didn't unload me until almost 24 hours later.

And finally, my credit score should be shooting way back up any day now.  I had no idea that going over 30% on any single card would affect your credit score that much. My understanding was it was 30% of your overall credit usage, which I am nowhere near using.  So, my Sears/Discover card I used to buy the desk?  It has a small credit limit at $3,250, which I didn't realize to begin with and using it to buy the desk took it up to almost 40% of it's credit usage.  I paid that card well down into the low 100's range and checked the rest of them to make sure I am not near or over 30% on any of the rest.  It was close on one and it's due date was tomorrow - so I paid it down $500 to make sure it isn't anywhere near that 30% threshold.

Just when you thought you had learned as much as you needed to know about credit scores, bam! and it hits you with something you didn't know about.  It's not clearly stated on any of the sites I have read, hence my confusion.  Live and learn.  The Sears card payment is due tomorrow, so they should be sending out where it's now at in the next few days.  I am going to need good credit down the road if I end up needing another loan to finish the start up and definitely if I'm going to get a much larger loan down the road to do a - huge- upgrade to the park.  Half a million would work.  Clubhouse with an attached hotel (small), the lake in the rear, the swimming pool and whatever else to make it more of a resort and a destination place.  Some "glamping" sites and around 55 sites.  It would create the potential for over 70 grand per month in gross receipts.  

Around 5 grand per month payments, I could go full time into the RV business and leave the rest of the corporate world behind.  It may sound lofty, but currently, a large loan in a year or two after I get the park up and running is my goal.  I could also have a custom house built in the rear 15 acres and simply live on the property.  Taking "my" family with me, lol.  Stake out 2 acres right near the rear of the property, clear it, put in a road, build the house, walaah.  I really do have "sky is the limit" vision for this place.  Banks will loan the money if they think it's a viable operation and a government backed loan will only help to fortify a bank's assessment of it.  I do plan on starting on the process of coming up with plans and blueprints, costs and projected income of such a much larger operation after I get the park going.  And there is a possibility of buying property next door - they are doing nothing with it and there is something like 25 acres of unused land with towering pines that were never harvested such as the situation with my property.  

Anyway, that is what goes through my mind as I continue to wait on the contractor to get this stuff done.  I just have to get this thing going!

G'day.  


No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...