Monday, July 25, 2022

 It dawned on me a few minutes ago that after this run today - Brownsville - I will be off work for quite a while.  This was planned.  I need to check with this wonderful dispatcher to make sure she didn't somehow "forget".  I do have all of the text messages pertaining to this vacation in case the selective memory hits.  She has been starting trouble with and having meltdowns with several other drivers.

I try to avoid such nonsense with her.  The closest thing I've had lately is her attempting to tell me DOT rules and regulations and my telling her she has no clue what she is talking about - which she literally doesn't. Besides not being a particularly good dispatcher, she also has only fragments of knowledge about trucking and the rules pertaining to trucking and that because I and other drivers have taken the time to attempt to educate her.  

This is why I believe all dispatchers should have previously had "driver" as one of their job titles. To understand the complexities and nuances of driving trucks, you have to have been exposed to it in such a way that you are directly affected by it and the only way that happens is if you have been a driver yourself.  To these know-nothings, it's all magical fairy-dust that falls from the sky.  They tell you where to go and you push a button and it mysteriously happens. If these people were to spend just a week sitting in the passenger seat of a truck with a busy driver, their whole attitude towards us would undoubtedly change.  

Anyway, they are allegedly starting that installation of the utilities today.  Which, in my mind, would mean they are out there right now. It's daylights, it's 7:40 am and it's still relatively cool outside.  It's summer in east Texas and like most other places in the south/southwest, it gets hot during the day.  High 90's/low 100's slated for the next 15 days.  That translates into higher heat indexes/real-feel.  I'm leaving for work early to see if they're out there and discuss with the electrician adding an outlet for my small building I'm going to have to get.  That was not previously discussed.  I'll need 220 outlet capability in case I want to install a washer/dryer setup.  

I definitely want to put in a soda machine and possibly a candy/chips vending machine.  These are money makers with fairly small amount of effort. The products have to be purchased at the Sam's club 2 towns over, but since I go there all the time for work anyway, that's not going to add anything to the slate of financial outlets in fuel expenditure, just the cost of purchasing the soda.  The caveat for a vending machines is that it must have a cooling unit in it.  There will be no air conditioning for the contents to remain cool and not melting or otherwise being exposed to extreme heat.  I dunno if those machines come with cooling or not?  No research on that has been done, it's kind of low on the priority list right now. 

A nice visit from Taylor's folks that ended yesterday morning. I was there for one whole day of it, 2 nights ago and all of yesterday morning.  Nice people. I let them use my room/bed and i stayed on a fold down couch in the boy's bedroom. I was gone the first night and decided to just let them stay in there. Much easier than having them at a hotel and much cheaper.  I know well the costs of lodging, just paid off the Air BNB house we are using for Galveston.  It made more sense and actually much cheaper than local hotels which at this time of year are running near $300 per night range for even mediocre accommodations.  I know this because we stayed there 3 years ago and the hotel we stayed at was not a 3 plus star hotel but yes, it was near $300 per night if I recall correctly.  The house is much cheaper, has 3 bedrooms, looks really nice inside from the pics and is close to the beach.  We are going for the beach, not for the place to stay.  

We can also cook there which reduces the amount of restaurant expenditures.  

Looking forward to some time off. Yes, I know, I had 12 days off last month, but that was all sickness and there was certainly  no fun, joy or entertainment in that.  I really like Galveston beach, the water is not freezing cold and it's just plain fun.  At least it was last time.  

I just need some time off, not sick and extra days not on vacation that I can spend at the property to get some work done.  I will be buying the bridge materials and at least start the construction.  It will probably take a while to finish that. Days off here and there and whether I'm even motivated depending on if I can get out there in the morning time and get work done before the extreme heat hits.  Oh, I "think" my utility trailer will fit back there.  If it doesn't, get out the chain saw! lol 

Purchase of a piece of equipment to hack down the weeds will wait until I pay the bill for utility installation.  I really don't want to spend any money until I get the final bill for that.  See what's left over, what I can afford to do without a loan and get that done and then, if absolutely necessary, which it probably will be, get a loan just before opening the park up - like within 2 months at most - get the final items on the list done and get some revenue (hopefully) coming in.  That's the current plan which is subject to change!  If you were to go back to where I started this venture and my thoughts, ideas and plans then and compare them with what is actually happening now? Yea, 2 different animals. Not completely different, but definitely some substantial differences.  

I went back and forth about using the existing driveway. I didn't want to at first, but after seeing how much everything else was going to cost? It became a no-brainer within the last few months that I would have to use it to be able to afford everything else.  I was going to build the park close to the road. But, after all the trees came down, that became problematic. Way too much of a grade/slope and far too much money to haul dirt in to level it out, the project is now about 450 from the roadway.  And other things that have changed.  The things that have remained the same are the walking trails, the desire to install a doggy running area, tent camp grounds and wifi.  I think a bathroom is going to have to wait.  

It will be a drawback for some campers that want access to a regular bathroom and full sized shower, but I don't think it's in the cards right now.  The only way I can do that is if the building I get is big enough to install one along with everything else.  I mean, it isn't completely off the list, it just is something I have determined that can wait if finances for it become an issue.  We'll see.  What I'm figuring at this point is that when I pay off the utility installation, I'll have just enough to install the gravel and possibly do the dog park and after that? It's all going to have to be another loan.  

Of course, there is really nothing stopping me from opening up a park without wifi, dog park, etc. If the utilities are in and the pads are done, I am wondering aloud, why not?  Google reviews be damned, the park has some offerings that are rather unique and the walking trails are the biggest thing in that department.  I still have some work to do but it's about the cheapest thing I've had done and it's benefited me, personally, as I love to walk my dog back there and the occasional accompanying children. It's been hot and they get over heated too fast so I haven't been taking them that much.  I get hot, too, but living in AZ for most of my life has at least taught me how to mitigate the heat and keep cool enough as to not enter into heat exhaustion territory.  Even Addler gets overheated and I don't really like to have him exposed to it too long.  

Anyway, it's about time to leave the house, go over there and hopefully....see them out there working!

G'day


No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...