Thursday, March 2, 2023

 So I got over to the property today and before I got there, I was notified by the old couple that the shed had been blown over and that they had picked it back up. Thank you.

Getting over there? It was damaged.  Nothing I can't fix but a bit disappointing.  I worked out some of the kinks in it, put the piece of plywood on the ground where I intended to have the water heater, leveled it and then moved the shed onto the wood. I then screwed the shed down to the wood.

I might need to weigh the floor down with something, that plywood is fairly heavy but there are tornadic conditions to hit us tonight.  

I dunno, but I went into the shed, sat down on a chair I finally remembered to bring with me - brought a box fan too - sat down and started figuring out plumbing and wiring.  Getting up frequently to measure things out.  After a lot of time thinking, writing, measuring and going over my notes, I headed to Lowe's. 

My feet are aching from standing on that concrete floor in that place. I can't imagine working there, you'd have to have some pretty comfy shoes with inserts to be able to stand all day on that hard floor surface.

Yes, I was there over 3 hours.Plumbing, then a different part of plumbing, over to water heaters, appliances, back to plumbing, over to roofing, electrical and plumbing again.  Much of it was plumbing, trying to figure out exactly what I needed and = just trying to find the fittings! It takes forever. There are a LOT of fittings in that store and on 2 particular aisles, there are hundreds and hundreds of them.  People go through them and put stuff back where it doesn't belong, it's just very tedious. 

Plus, trying to find stuff I had no idea where to find it.  An employee there took up my plight to an extent and started telling me where he thinks certain things would be at.  The vent stack to go on the roof was stumping me. I was in several different places all over the store looking for what I needed and could find it. I found other types of vent stacks, but not the one I needed.

This guy started looking all over the place for me.  He eventually came back with the right one. I was almost shocked. He spent a lot of time looking for it, but sure enough, he had the thing I needed. It just went on forever.  I don't need to be making 20 trips to Lowe's.  If it's 3 hours, it's 3 hours.  A pro could probably be in and out of there in 30 minutes - I'm not a pro! lol 

Everything I got today doesn't actually finish the shed.  It should be enough to run conduit from the ground to the box, conduit from the box to the water heater shed, conduit to inside the shed.  It is all kinds of fittings and different sizes of pipe for the water heater both coming into and going out of it and to the washer hookup. It is also the drain line, the T, the P trap and the pipe for the drain line plus the drain vent.  It is all the electrical connections I will need for the AC, dryer, water heater, general 110 outlets, light switch, light and the range/oven - which I don't have and that will have to be another day.  In fact, that will be last.  I also got more 4 inch SDR35 sewer pipe, 1 inch shc40 pvc, 3/4 CVPC and 1/2 inch CVPC pipe.  A ground rod for the breaker box as well.

I did not get the wire or the clamp for the ground rod - I was done by the time I got to that. I was ready to go home, actually.  I will have to go back to Lowe's for that but I figure by the time i get to that, I will have other things I either forgot or missed or just plain didn't know about that I will need.  

It is inevitable. 

That's my day so far.  I doubt I will go back out there. The trash is turning into a problem out there nad I guess I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and get a dumpster. $160 per month it's just really expensive.  It's emptied once a week, I guess I can't really complain about it, I just don't want to keep adding on expenditures.  But my new residential can is already filled to the top, the smaller one I have is full and there is a 55 gallon can that is empty. But it's only Thursday, the trash man doesn't come until Monday morning.  

To that end, I have contacted the other company - I just need this dealt with.  Trash is not something I want to have to deal with every single day.  I am getting a new quote on a dumpster - if it's higher than before I will simply try to get them to bring it back down.  I guess $40 per week isn't terrible for so much trash.  I'm not really complaining, I just want it dealt with even if it costs me more money.  Almost 3 times as much money, but I have no choice. Republic is the only player in my area that does dumpsters, no one else does them. I've looked.

Well, tomorrow I will be over there attempting to get this stuff done. At least starting on it. It will be preceded by a trip to Harbor Freight - I need a hole saw and I don't want to pay Lowe's prices for on. Basically a one-time use and I will likely never need to use it again.  

Ohhhh myyyy - the thunder finally arrived.  It's been raining on and off all day, but they've been telling us about heavy storms all day - that never materialized. And a level 4 threat of tornadoes.  Tonight, apparently, that threat is going to be real - according to them. It was supposed to be real earlier today, fortunately that never materialized.  

The brain power needed to think through all of that both at the property and at Lowe's has done me in for today.  I am not doing any more work and besides, it's almost 4: 00 pm.  

_+______

This'll light another fire under my feet: the washer/dryer payments start on the 7th.  $214 per month, doesn't sound like much but tack that on to everything else.  I'll need an average of 3 loads per day being washed to make it pay for itself.  That's not a lofty goal.  Actually, it's a fractional amount less than 2-1/2 loads per day at $3 per load including washer and dryer.  That's my initial thought for charging per load, I need to get to a laundromat and see what the real, current pricing is for a regular machine. It's probably around there somewhere.  I won't charge more than the laundromat - but if it's $3.50 per load even better. 

No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...