Saturday, June 17, 2023

 This town is a hot mess.  All of our friends are suffering miserably.  Trying to sleep in a hot house, you might as well stuff yourself into a warm oven.  We only have bedrooms being cooled or we'd invite them over.  It's a lot of people, I have been watching their posts and I feel for them. But, I determined long ago -I"m talking years now - that I didn't want to suffer in power outages.  We were getting them one after another, close together, at the time I pulled the trigger and said nope, I'm buying a generator.

It's a 10,000 watt CAT and it rocks. James has a welder he's running as well. We've got 2 bedrooms with window AC units and I can tell ya, my room is cold. I turned that sucker down last night so that it would stay cool in here once the sun comes up and starts baking everything.  Our freezers are frozen, our refrigerator is refrigerated. We also have our wifi router on and it finally started working again as of this morning when I checked it.  That will make internet surfing much easier, everyone is using their phones right now because they don't have power to run their routers.  

Yes, lightning speeds, I've never seen the internet zoom so fast as it is right now.  

The only thing I know of to do to help our friends is figure out how to install a 30 amp breaker on the exterior box, run a line out the bottom with a 30 amp male connector that will plug into my CAT generator and plug it in. It will easily run the central AC and then some. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, I just have never been motivated to do it.  If I can get that going, we can run that generator for whole house cooling and some lights and devices and keep the other generator running the freezers and the fridge.  

_______________

Well, that was fun.  Just filled up the generators after running them all night long.  2 5 gallon cans empty yet again, the fun of trying to find a gas station that is open and has gas starts yet again.  

The real fun part? SWEPCO - the main power provider for this area (tho there are others, much smaller) updated their website yesterday to say that they expect power to be restored in various increments - coming back on starting on Wednesday of next week.  This is getting serious here, folks.  Can we deal with it? Of course. We aren't dying over here.  Many people are suffering in heat related misery. The local gossip group has people posting the woes of trying to sleep in a hot house.

Our friends the same. 

So, I have decided to go ahead and get on over to Lowe's and get the setup to hook into the main breaker panel.  It's really not that hard.  Turn off all the breakers, especially the main, hook the wires up to the neutral and ground bars, put the red and black wire into the new circuit breaker running a line out the bottom of the panel.  Hook a male adpater up that fits into my generator and plug the thing in.  It will work, I'm confident of that. 

But, to support my confidence, I did, indeed, do some research.  

So, looking for gas and getting the supplies to run the house off the generator are today's focus.  And just sent off an email to a person that reserved a spot this morning for a stay tonight. They are welcome to come, of course, but there is no power and unless they have a generator, they are going to be miserable in that thing.  I will be going over to the park today to inspect everything.  

Offa here, for now.

G'day

No comments:

 Sitting in Gurdon using iPhone.  AC has now completely stopped working. It was working sporadically, giving me some relief but now? It’s ho...