Thursday, November 2, 2023

 I spoke too soon. 

Actually, I went to the grand opening of the QuikTrip here today, I saw the guest, he was just standing in a corner with several other people huddled around an electronic device.  He was obviously there as backup, in case something goes wrong, he can fix it.  I didn't bother him, but I suspected he would be leaving soon.

Meanwhile, I had to cancel the 4 night stay.  I just couldn't take a chance with this guy or potentially another dude leaving, they might leave - they might not, who knows?  The other dude? I just went over there since his phone number is invalid now.  He's staying another month.  Yes sir, do you have the card on file? Yes sir, it's probably on there. Okay, just charge it tomorrow.  

Well, on my way out I noticed the QuikTrip manager had left. So, he paid for a full month, meaning he actually has 13 more days left, but he informed me when he last paid that when he leaves, it would be ok to just re-rent it, he wasn't coming back. Nope, probably never see him again.  I can't imagine another QuikTrip opening in our town....

So, I rushed back home, might as well try to get this 4 night stay back - well I have to clarify. I spoke too soon to this guy, refunded his money and told him in email earlier today that I couldn't host him, I had a person come in long term and take the spot. I wasn't able to get to my software to block it out before you reserved it, my sincere apologies.  I sent him an email 10 minutes ago telling him this other lot is available - lot 5 to be precise - and I will be unblocking it shortly.  Which I did. 5 minutes later? He already rebooked.  Sigh of relief. It's more money for that lot than what it's supposed to get for a month.  $120 worth.  He must have needed to stay on my side of town badly to be looking at his email that fast and rebooking that quickly.  

Also on the way out?  The dude that came in last night? Had a huge fire going in his fire ring.  That's what they're there for, obviously, just took me by surprise. Fires haven't been a "thing" at the park.  I've had them several times, but most guests don't have fires even with fire rings there. I had thought about getting a pallet full of prepackaged firewood for sale, but why?  If no one uses it, I've bought it for nothing but my own personal use?  I don't need that much wood over there.  I'll just keep my eyes open. If people request it or if enough long term are having fires, I can definitely accommodate. I don't remember how much it was for the wood, I would have to charge around $7 or $8 per bundle. Sounds ridiculous, go look and see what they're selling at Kroger's and the like for the same amount of wood and what price they are charging. 

Still, if long term wants fires bad enough, since they're long term, they're obviously going to town to buy groceries and supplies.  There are lots of places selling firewood.  I don't see making that much money off of it and I do see it being more trouble than it's worth beyond offering a convenience.  It's like the money changer machine I didn't buy - too expensive and not worth it. Not with just one washer and dryer.  The people that want to do laundry? They get their quarters. I don't know where from, well one of them told me they go to a local laundromat and use their money changing machine lmao.  Whatever works.  If I had 5 of each machine I'd definitely have a money changer in there. So yeah, beyond perhaps just getting a cord of wood for the winter and putting it by the big firepit, I don't think I'm going to do that.  

My mind is on expansion. Don't have the money for it, but that's where I'm at right now.  This is yet another goal - but it's big on my horizon.  Just because I know that Interstate project will be here in a few years and those people are going to be looking for places to stay.  I'm a further away from other parks, but I am starting to get a reputation.  A good reputation, lol.  Word of mouth goes a long way, well beyond any advertising.  It takes time to get that word of mouth out there, yes, but it is gold. 

I feel like this is like a Monopoly game. You spend all your money during the game, it's only at the end - if you are winning - that you get rich. I don't care about getting rich, I just want to be able to pay my bills, save money, buy decent things and be able to travel here and there.  It's not a millionaire's lifestyle, it's what a normal person wants to be able to do.  I also feel like it's a little late in life to be doing this, fast approaching 60 - 3 months from now - but what the hey.  I'm healthy enough, I guess. Knees aren't the greatest, my left arm has been giving me trouble and other minor maladies, the price of getting older.  My fingers feel it when I'm driving, one of the main reasons - out of many - that I wanted to quit driving trucks.  I pretty much lay my hands flat on the steering wheel instead of grasping it while I'm on the open highway and not a lot of traffic around.  Not like I can't instantly grab the wheel.  

I don't think age is a big issue, but it is an issue, like when will I slow down too much? Well hopefully not before I get the place where I need it and can hire people to deal with it for me.   If there's one thing that I have seen, the older you get, the slower you get.  Just the natural progression.  

I'm getting better at identifying snakes.  There are a lot of them in the back portion of the property, I want to know what's venomous and what's not.  At this point, I can tell if a snake is venomous or not even if I can't identify what kind of snake it is. How? I have no idea, but the group I am in have pics of snakes and people asking to identify all day long and so far, I can tell if it's not venomous. That is really the only reason I am in there, I don't really CARE what KIND of snake it is, I despise snakes.  

However, if they're non-venomous, they can stay.  They eat rodents. In fact, I didn't kill off the Cottonmouths and they are definitely venomous. I kind of considered them my friends since I worked so close to them for so long, thinking they were harmless yellow bellied plain water snakes.  When I was informed they are not harmless, that's when I decided I needed to get myself cozy with finding out which ones out there are and which ones out there are not.  

The pics show up on my feed often, I make my guess and then I look to see if it's correct.

Getting late.  

No comments:

 Saturday - afternoon It only took an hour to unload the truck.  It took a combined 25 minutes, however, to get security guards to the scale...