Thursday, March 4, 2021

 I got started this morning in Brownsville around 4:00 am - that's get up, get dressed, turn on the coffee maker, get out, check the truck, etc, got on the road around 4:30, got back to town around 3:00 pm. I'm actually glad that there was an empty there, my mind is rather consumed - still - with this idea of finding a property.  

I found another great property a while ago - only to see it's under contract.  Is this some sort of sign? Am I not supposed to be pursuing this project? Or is it that those properties aren't the right ones?  Or what?  

Whatever the case, I directed my frustration into motivation and went full fledge once again looking at dozens of websites with properties and have half a dozen I want to go look at tomorrow.  

Brownsville is only getting one load per day.  That's not their choice, the loading plant is still having issues after all of this time. And now I understand why I haven't been to Oklahoma in a long time - not that I care - but it has been shut down since the first storm - that's the storm that hit that region before the Texas fiasco. 

So, that plant has been down a long time and no word on when it's coming back up.  Not my favorite run, but it's a good fill in.  And keeps us busy.  I'm not working tomorrow - of course.  We're normally 2 to 3 loads to brownsville per day and 1 to 2 loads a day to Oklahoma.  So, now I understand why we are slow, I thought the loading plant had come back on line - it did but it's been having quality issues.

Remember, that entire plant shut down during Snovid21.  They produce some 88 different chemicals, it's a huge, sprawling plant and employs a large number of people and beyond that, the services they employ from local businesses.  All of the cooling plants had burst pipes, those go down, the entire plant goes down with them.  

Whatever.  Hope they get all of that up and running soon as well as other plants that are also down.  

But while all of that is going on, I'm still going to focus on the evolving arena of RV'ers - couples and families that sell their homes, buy an RV and live in it, traveling around the country.  And... the people that live in the area that cannot afford regular housing and live in RV's locally.  

Do people really believe truck drivers are "rich"? I've heard this a lot.  I think owner-operators can make a small fortune if they get hooked up with the right company or broker.  But company drivers aren't really rich people.  I could call myself middle to upper middle class I suppose, depending on what scale you use.  And there's plenty of different scales out there, that's hard to say.  I dunno, just a curiosity.

I do know that my new CDL expires when I turn 62. I mean, if I live that long.  Who knows when you are going to die? God.  This is why I'm trying so hard to get this business going. I'd love to be able to quit at that age, collect SS and live off of the business.  And it's going to take a lot more than just buying the property and getting pads installed with utilities to get the type of RV resort going I want it to be.  It will take years of upgrades as cash is made available to do them. A party/wedding barn.  A large playground. Etc etc etc.  

There are far more things, I have been finding, that a person can do with an RV park beyond just having RV's.  They can have a restaurant, they can host parties, reunions, all kinds of activities.  It's amazing what people have been able to do with these places.  It doesn't happen overnight, that's the point.  

Anyway, before I drive myself crazy with all of these thoughts? I think I'll watch a re-run of Star Trek and then, go to bed.  Tomorrow is a new day!

G'nite.  


No comments:

 Saturday - afternoon It only took an hour to unload the truck.  It took a combined 25 minutes, however, to get security guards to the scale...