Thursday, January 19, 2023

Well, I got several calls from the facebook ad, a few of them - sound - promising.  So far, none of it has converted into long term tenants.  One dude is around 2:00 pm tomorrow afternoon, he says he will be heading over here. Another something similar. And the couple that says they are moving in on the 1st.  I've been through all of this before - people saying they are going to come and they don't.  It's something I'm already accustomed to from trying to rent out rooms.  

I got an unusual call, tho.  I'm not boosting tent camping right now.  Just not something I want to mess with while I'm expending my energies trying to get the RV portion done.  It isn't going to make a significant amount of money - tho I am of the "any added extra income is a good thing" mindset.  Still, there is some work and money to be spent back there and I'm just not in the position to spend - about 2 grand - right now.  

But, these people asked about a tent camping site?  I think I have it listed somewhere, yes it's on my own website.  Again, not promoting it. I thought about it for a few seconds, well I do have one site that will work that doesn't have access issues.  It was a few hours later - I was getting the boys, doing homework with them - and I met up with them out there, boys in tow. Mom and dad at work, homework done, we waited for their arrival with them playing on their favorite dirt pile.  

They asked how much? I just threw out $10. Ok!  A bit later and before we met there, I changed it to "I'll give it to you for free if you will give me a Google review".  Google reviews are worth their weight in gold when you have none at all.  Sure! they replied.  Ok!

Well.  It turns out they are homeless. They have a pickup truck - an older one probably early 2,000's, in good running condition and had a lot of camping equipment in the back. It was all neat and tidy, a good sign. The lady then said something about VA doctor visits and that hubby is a vet.  Well now you have my attention. Vets really aren't being treated that well in this nation and a lot of them end up in poverty and even more end up committing suicide.  There are some great organizations that are helping them, but overall, the stats of how they end up living when coming back off a war zone or just out of service shows a lot of them just don't do that well.

I didn't say they could stay as long as they want.  I don't want to start a homeless encampment. They aren't completely broke, thankfully.  She asked if they could stay a couple of days?   Sure! I just laid out to please keep the site clean and tidy and keep the fire in the middle of - such and such - area so as not to start a forest fire.  I was going to get them a fire ring from the front, but they had their own with them. I invited them to help themselves to fresh water, a bit of firewood and certainly could pump up their air mattress using one of the electrical outlets in the park.  

They even had their own, portable toilet. It became obvious they are just going from place to place, camping out wherever they can find to do so.  Camping sites are at the rear of the park.  This camping site is not along the trails. They are out of site, next to the gas well operation but in the woods.  I did ask them to stay off the well pad. I forgot one of my chainsaws near their site where I have a few items stored.  I don't necessarily believe they are thieves, but I don't necessarily trust people, either.  It's a brand new saw that hasn't been used, it's one of the $50 20 inch saws I got from Walmart.  Well I have their names, phone number and license plate number.  

There isn't much of anything else.  I wish I could get some more of those "just traveling through town, it's the end of the day, we need a place to stay" type of things but nothing.  The website designer wanted some money for the work he's done.  I'm kind of at the end of that. He's doing background work but said we are pretty much where we need to be for now.  Meaning after I pay him the current amount, I shouldn't have to pay him much of anything.  He's gotten my website showing fairly high up the rankings, he's done his job but his prices aren't cheap per hour and for now, I'd like to take a break from that.  Mostly because I am barely taking anything in and the word is out - all over the place. It's people are going to come, or they aren't.  But more work on the website at this point isn't going to help anything.  

No comments:

 Thursday - morning Just didn't sleep well again. I mean, I got some sleep just not quality sleep.   Got up a little later than normal f...