Saturday, September 2, 2023

 Okayyyyy.......

I get there and this old curmudgeon - that's about a fitting as it gets for his demeanor - is standing there waiting on me.  He's the kind that likes to me crude jokes and lots of cussing.  He's joking, but it kinda gets old.  Still, he helped me hold the pedestal up and such while I was installing it. 

Laying belly down in the dirt? Not so much fun but at least it wasn't boiling hot out there.  I went around to whoever was home and and let them know the power is going to be out for 30 minutes to an hour and got busy. Took the panels off the new pedestal, unscrewed the lugs, went and turned the power off. 

Checked the power to make sure it was off with a multimeter. There isn't any way in the town of Hades that I am going to touch electrical wires that thick without being absolutely certain the power is off.  It wasn't hard work, per se, just a PITA.  Especially laying belly down in the dirt digging out more of the dirt. This pedestal is a different brand and the thing goes lower into the ground.  

Once the power was off, unscrewed all the lugs, pulled out the lines, pulled out the damaged pedestal, put in the new one, hooked it all up, walaah.  The test wasn't nerve-wracking, ie: turning the power back on.  I knew I had those lines in there correctly and tho it was a different brand, the setup was exactly the same.  

Power on, ac units back on, no one complaining about power issues, done.

Done, at least, until just now.  Some over nighters are saying their plug has issues.  Yup, they're on the other side of the park, the side I wasn't messing with.  They're screwed.  It's just a plug, the one that plugs into the pedestal. They go bad.  If you're drawing a lot of juice through them constantly, they get hot and eventually they start coming apart.  The prongs start loosening up and the next thing you know?  No power.  They asked if there was an rv mechanic and I said yes, but he doesn't work weekends and since this is a holiday weekend, I'm positive he isn't working.

I then offered that it isn't that hard to put a new plug on there. It really isn't, lol.  Cut the old one off, splice the cable cover back a few inches, strip the ends, feed it through the insert, hook it up to the new one. tighten down the collar, you're done.  I didn't offer to do the work, exactly, I just said it's not that difficult.  But they alluded to the idea of me doing it for them.  So I told them to find a new plug, Lowe's has them.

No plug at Lowe's, out of stock.  Ok, try longview Lowes, Home Depot and there's a RV dealer with a parts room at it.  So, they are heading over there now and I just said, well, if you need help, contact me when you get back. 

__________

Well that problem took care of itself.  I mean, I did tell them it's an easy fix. And when you get a new plug, it's pretty self-explanatory.  The only thing you have to make sure of is that you get the right wire on the right connecter.  If you can do that, you have it mastered.  So when they got back with it, they figured it out all by themselves.  I don't have to go over and fool with it, but if I had had to, I would have charged them $20 for my time.  That's a far cry cheaper than the RV mobile mechanic they wanted to come out.  And now they have their AC working again - it's pretty warm out there right now.  

I think if you're going to live in an RV, you should learn basic maintenance and repairs.  Even if you have lots of money, there isn't always a tech available.  If you need a new AC, yup, get a pro.  If you need a new plug, sewer line, adapter, whatever - it's a simple fix, the hardest part is just going to get the part.  

Anyway, I have a new tenant coming soon here, I'm probably going to head back over there and make sure they get settled in. And pay, lol.  And hit another family up for their pay.  I went over and knocked this morning, it's hard to tell if they're home or not since they have 2 vehicles. One of them was there, their main ride was gone.  

I'm looking at the weather app. We are still well above average high temps. We've got 2, 100 degree days coming up but before and after mid 90's.  We should be in the high 80's this time of year going by the average temps they have listed.  And we are in a drought.  It is amazing how much rain we get much of the year but come 2 / 3 months of summer and it the rain just disappears.  

Well, I'm going to rest a bit - still coughing at night and losing sleep - and then go over there and see if they're around. Also, the 3 people that I have been commenting on whether they are staying or going. Well they're obviously staying but their company hasn't sent the monthly check yet.  Check the mail box and see if it's in there, ask one of the 3 night stays permission to run the credit card for the amount owing, clean the toilet and the shower stall and call it a day.  

No comments:

 Saturday - afternoon It only took an hour to unload the truck.  It took a combined 25 minutes, however, to get security guards to the scale...