Monday, January 2, 2023

 Taking no chances with an almost 20k septic system, I contacted the contractor before turning it on.  Is there anything special I need to do before turning it on? No, just make sure the breakers are all on.  He got back to me quickly and I haven't talked to him in well over a month. That was nice.  I was thinking it might take - quite a while - for him to reply.  But looking at the switch to turn it on, it has a mute and a run setting. No idea what the mute is for, I put it on run and then asked him?

Mute keeps the alarm and the red flashing light off if something goes wrong with it.  I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to know if the thing is having problems....I have a 2 year warranty on it, if something goes wrong it is covered and I owe them nothing, the entire work they have done is all paid for.  Even if it weren't under warranty, I would definitely want to know if the thing has stopped working.  Last thing you need is a bunch of poop backing up in the lines to the inlets, gag and gross.  

Well, anyway, I don't know how much waste is in there but there's only been 1 rig using it, the one that came in? After I left, they put out their slides, hooked up their 50 amp line, turned on their AC units and left.  It's neither hot nor cold, it's the time of year those ac units should be cycling on an off, off more than on.  So once it initially cools the thing down it shouldn't really be running the compressors that much.  

I'm concerned about costs, obviously and electricity in the summer time with one of those things with 2 large ac units can eat up some power.  But for right now, I don't need to worry about it.   I guess if there is any advantage to being open during winter? No or low AC use - it is in the 70's 'here today tho - and heating is usually primarily supplied by a propane run heating system.  At least in the systems I am familiar with. I don't know if they've started installing AC units with heat option?  

I am probably going to put meters on for long term guests and charge less per month but they pay electricity. I"d like to get that done by summer - say late May early June at the latest.  That way people are less inclined to gobble up "free electricity".  I've had that concern with long term since the beginning, it's nothing you worry about with short term, they are paying more and covering the cost of electric.  My cut throat rates won't help with electric either, but it's getting some people in there so I'm actually happy.  For now.  

I'm at 3 customers now and not a single one of them has used the online payment/reservation system, lmao.  Ok, I only spent $200 on it and I'm hopeful people might start using it to book spring/summer/fall stays. These people showed up today, handed me the money and that was that, they didn't want to chit chat and that's fine with me.  I'm getting people who are disgruntled with the other options in town. They aren't concerned about the rates - they are willing to pay more - they are concerned about the lots not handling the size of their units.

One thing I learned today? I definitely need to rent the roller and get it over there and compact the gravel.  That heavy thing sunk several inches.  I have no worries about it getting stuck, but what I thought might need to get done turns out to be a no brainer. It's like $200 per day to rent the thing, I'm doing that soon.  Let me set this straight tho, there is about 12 inches deep of gravel and it's the best gravel you can get - it compacts nicely, that thing won't be getting stuck.  He had pulled up and back and up and back several times after I left, I could see the tracks.  They didn't level it, which seemed odd but I do know that that pad is level going east and west, but I do believe it has a slight grade on the north side.  

Sign place closed before I could place the order. I'll just go over there in the morning and get what I need. There is room for a 4 foot wide sign next to the other signs, perfect size for big lettering, few words but enough to get the message across: Yup, there is an RV park with my park's name on it a mile down the road with an arrow pointing in that direction.  

_____________

I was looking at a pic of the one that just came in and saw the name of the manufacturer - I recognized it because I used to pass by it on the way to Brownsville every trip.  A 2014 model listed at $349,000.  I don't know what year that thing is, but it's a custom built coach. But what I was really looking for is the weight of this beast. Because it left some pretty deep groves and tho I expect everything to get compacted in due time, this was a bit more than I anticipated.

With full water tank and loaded with the personal belongings, that thing weighs out at almost 50,000 pounds.  Astounding.  I had no idea. I questioned my contractor about this 45k weight statement he made quite some time ago,  but this confirmed that these giant motor coaches on luxury tour bus frames are very heavy.  I'm not going to stop them from coming in, but I may inform them that the gravel is still being compacted and it may go into it a bit, but no worries, you won't get stuck.  Basically, my contractor was making the case for much deeper layer of gravel and now I know why. If I want the luxury stuff to come in there as well as anything else (as long as it is maintained and looks decent, I don't really care how old it is), I am going to need a deep, thick layer of gravel.  

This is the type of clientele I am trying to reach. People with money and really no cares in the world. They just travel around from place to place and enjoy life, mostly retired folks that spent their lives working and now spending their time seeing America.  But, I had to get them in there somehow and the low prices are the lure.  Actually, I think my website says big rig friendly, or all of the places I have listed it have that on there.  It legitimately is big rig friendly. These people are usually the types that aren't going to be making a lot of noise all night long and are respectful of their neighbors. Some are social oriented, some want to keep to themselves - to each their own.

These people weren't in the mood for chatting, but I think that was only because they wanted to get over to wherever their family is.  It doesn't matter to me - if they want to be chatty I will entertain them, if they don't, it means I can get busy doing whatever else. 

No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...