Wednesday, May 15, 2024

 Wednesday - 1:00 pm

After being told it would be done last night, then "around 9 am", then noon, we are now getting well past the noon hour and going into the afternoon hours.  My company has been calling this place but that isn't going to help anything. My manager just called yet again, he has no one else to move loads besides a driver with his truck broken down in Shreveport. They are sending an office worker to pick him up, bring him up there to Eldo, get that old pile of junk truck, drive it down to Lufkin to pick up a load and deliver it tonight. 

There are no OTR drivers in the area.  I am pretty much being forced to get to Nac, get that loaded trailer and deliver it tonight regardless.  Manager is saying this is how we "lose lanes", lanes being contracts with companies to deliver whatever products.  If they lose this lane, I'm out of a job here.  I never refused anyway, I just told him I'd call him whenever they get me rolling out of this place. But, the longer these people keep me here, obviously, the later into the night it's going to be to get this done.

It's times like these the company would be well served to find an outside company or Owner operators and pay them to do some temporary work rather than lose a contract.  But, that's me and my view of it, the previous company I worked for did just that. The other option is just rent a couple of trucks temporarily, I don't understand these people's thinking but it does go to advance my thoughts about this company: They are broke and don't have any money..and who knows if they are on the verge of bankruptcy/insolvency?  

I sympathize with them, I'll do what I can but I am not exactly happy about it.  I am a truck driver, sort of. I kind of departed with the "drive all night and do whatever it takes" philosophy after I got out of it for a year. Your eyes are opened to the abuses of the trucking industry and how they don't give a damn about your personal life or if you even get to have one.  It's not like I'm raking in the dough here and have been given the lime life for the time I've spent working here.  

So, whatever.  These tent people are on the same track as the previous tent lady:  We like the camper (motor coach) and we want to buy it. But it with what money?  They must think the thing is going for pennies on the dollar. I am not desperate and I won't sell it for less than I have in it. Otherwise, it can sit until I get to it.  I certainly didn't offer the thing to them, not at all.  

I'm just getting a little cranky because I've sat here 2 and a half days and no end to it in sight. And when it does end, I will have to drive until however late in the morning to keep the plant workers - working.  They can't make plywood without the glue.  Just isn't a happening event. But as I have stated, this company hasn't done me any favors, not at all. I have no idea how much glue is left in those giant tanks but it must be getting close to empty for the kinds of calls I'm getting and the desperation.  

If I left right now, I could be back up there in ... 6-1/2 to 7 hours, there is a pre-loaded trailer but it's sitting clear down in Nacogdoches, 2-1/2 hours from here not including stopping at my park for the empty and stopping at home for clean clothes, a thermos of coffee, cold water and a couple of sandwiches.  I don't need a shower, I got one at the hotel this morning.  

And IF all of that happens today, I can expect no less of a rat race tomorrow.  It was Saturday I was up there and both tanks were full, at least. But, it's 4 days later and very few loads have been getting up there.  It doesn't help that the driver trainer won't work today.  He said he "can't do it", with no explanation.  He might have legitimate reasons not to do it, at the same time, he might want to consider saving his job if he likes this dedicated run.  

All I can say is I have been looking. Haven't found anything particularly appealing, but I have definitely been looking at other jobs available in the area. 

Well I don't know what else to say here. I'm just contemplating the prospect of a very late night. Wouldn't have been that bad if they had had this truck done this morning at 9 when they said it would be done.






No comments:

 I basically fired the park hosts today.  Allen and his wife are long since gone, he came back once after 3 weeks of being gone. His daughte...