Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thursday

Another busy and long day at work.
And a good day for sales, too - almost 40k worth.
Although no more news of continued layoffs - which is a good thing - there was news of some of the trucks being sold off. No need for them since we have gotten rid of some drivers. I think the company mandates that you don't have more trucks than drivers. Duhhh, of course. What I mean is, if you have 5 trucks, but are forced to layoff a driver, you can't keep 5 trucks, you have to sell one of them. So, a semi is getting said goodbye to and 2 10-wheelers.

I dunno. I was just glad to see that there was some sort of actual numbers coming into our store today. The boss had to let go of one delivery - which sucked, but what are you going to do? I'm the only driver and he can't take off - he has to run the store. I'm ALL for taking every single delivery that comes our way. But, I was making a delivery to Williams Gateway Airport and then to a jobsite in Casa Grande, and then back to Phoenix for pickups and then back to the yard. No time for a 3rd delivery. Oh, I forgot about the flat tire on the trailer - had to stop and get that fixed, too.

Anyway, it wasn't bad news about the trucks - our store is keeping the semi so no big deal to me. We couldn't get along without a semi. Sure, there are plenty of smaller deliveries, but there are also plenty of deliveries that only a semi can carry. Perhaps you could make multiple trips with a smaller truck - but then you are dooming yourself to losing money by both having to pay for fuel and man-hours for more than one trip and also possibly losing another delivery because you're caught up trying to get everything to a jobsite in 2 or even 3 deliveries worth. And then there's the 40 foot long pipe we deliver. That simply can't go on a small truck.

It was very cool this morning - which always puzzles me later on in the day - ie: right now because it's very warm and the AC is running.

I guess I'm saying that right now? I'm tired and I think I"m going to take a nap. I could get used to having these busy days again on a permanent basis - the energy spent is awesome!

C'yall later (or tomorrow).
ben

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It warmed up here more than was forecasted, stayed cloudy all day and now getting much needed rain--I can't complain!

Rest well, Ben. ~S~

BenB said...

Shannon: Warmed up? Like it went from 1 degree to 2? LOL!
Taking naps is a good thing. If I get a chance during the workday, I definitely stop somewhere and take a 15 minute nap in lieu of my 30 minute break. Driving all over creation wears me out - it's a lot of city driving and that is totally intense.
Been a bit since last rain - wish it would do that here anytime soon.
Take care - and don't let the bulls get you!
ben

Dorrie said...

so, when you get sick or the truck breaks down, no more deliveries? no income? customers don't get their stuff or run to competition (if there are any)? or customers close down because they can't be delivered? vicious circle ... and in the long run perhaps not very clever. Good luck, Ben!

We have SUMMER in my world already! A big early, but I'M not complaining! lol

Anonymous said...

If I get sick - dunno. I have shown up to work sick many times in my life. However, there are times when I am so sick I can't get out of bed, then they have a problem. Truck breaks down - rent another one or borrow one from the main branch if they aren't busy.
I'm more concerned about vacation and have brought that subject up. I intend on taking a week off this summer even if I'm not actually going anywhere. So yes, this could turn into be a literal pain, but I'm employed so I'll take the latter and deal with the rest.
I most certainy do NOT want to see summer coming HERE early, thank you very much!
ben

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...