Monday, December 12, 2011

Got Hit With A ..............

..................... curve ball this morning at work.  I was supposed to go to a Conway (LTL/less than truckload freight delivery service, nationwide) terminal in west Phoenix to pick up some materials to deliver to a contractor.  Well, I don't go on such runs until I contact the inside salesman on the account and have him verify that the material is actually THERE and ready to be picked up - both are equally important.

Well, the salesman said he would check in an instant message type of thing.  Okay, meanwhile, I realized that after I had entered the building and began getting on with the day's work that it had started raining outside. And raining, and raining - you get the picture.  Well, I got busy with stuff in the will call, there is still a lot to do and no lack of things to get done.

A while later, the salesman messages me back:  Conway, for whatever reason, had transferred the material from the Phoenix yard to the distributor that we buy this particular material from  - to Globe.  That it would be there, in Globe, by 9:00 am.  Yeah, baby and finally: a trip out of town that takes me to the mountains instead of the desert southwest.

It rained the entire trip there and the entire trip back. I got out the Verizon broadband device and saw the thing giving me 3G service all the way up to Superior.  Outside of Superior, on that particular road, you go up a 7% grade in steep canyons and yes, the service went out, but no biggies. At the top, service back again and there is nothing up there, no towns, nothing.  Into Globe - would hope an area like that might have 4G - no go.  Not even Casa Grande had 4G service. In fact, the only place I have found with 4G service is the Phoenix area.

The 3G service is just slower is the only thing - I didn't know what to expect getting that service in terms of what has 4G service and what has 3G service.

Day not done early, I had to take that material to an extremely muddy and wet jobsite, I was surprised anyone was working out in this.

Well, got things to get done.

Later

No comments:

 Friday late-morning Typical morning when there is no work.  It was, I should say, until the new guy called.  "There's nothing wron...