Thursday, September 21, 2023

Thursday - evening

Well first off, this computer.  It decided to do yet another update. Third one this week. Takes up to an hour, sometimes longer.  Didn't let me down this time, the thing took forever, a day and a half to even pop up the home screen and it's still working now trying to get back to normal.  I don't know why they want to do updates that frequently and I am sick of it.

Anyway. Got to the office this morning, was shown a tablet that is used for hours of service and for loads, then handed to me.  I want to fiddle with this for a while, I said, I need to just use it and get the feel for it. Well fiddle away, he replied, we have plenty of time.  I spent a couple of hours, actually, flipping back and forth through screens until I felt I had a good knowledge of how to use it. 

After that, I was handed a full-face respirator, told to put it on and get it adjusted. Ok? He came back a few minutes later and said we're going to do a smoke test.  The tube he picked up busted in his hand, smoke started pouring out and he immediately started  choking.  That was fun. He opended up another one and then started letting the smoke roll up around my mask. Nothing.  

Done with that, he issued me all kinds of safety equipment and then sent me to the bunk house.  It wasn't even noon yet. I have been here all day, save a nice, long walk to get the blood flowing and just got done with a few sets of pushups.  So, here for all night until 8:00 am, where I am to go through an interview with some high level manager. I thought the interviews were over?  

Well, whatever, it's another paid day as today was, just a flat rate they give you for showing up.  The pay goes up substantially once you are in a truck and training with another driver.  

Meanwhile, the internet here? Sucks.  It's slow, it's not enough, obviously, to deal with all of the trailers plus what's  going on in this office/house setup.  I can use my Verizon, but it throttles at X amount of data and then doesn't work very well anymore.  Might as well notifications on the computer screen that "update failed" which simply means the WiFi isn't working.  It wasn't working before everyone came home, either. Just sporadic. 

The other guy just showed up a few minutes ago. Meaning he was gone for around 15 hours.  That's what I have to look forward to next week, tho the days before today he was only out maybe 8-10 hours.  I don't know how well I'll handle 15 hour days after not doing them for a year.  I guess I'll find out!

I'm trying to access my recorded shows on mydishnetwork account onlline, they don't make it easy to find anything on there.  You would expect to find a "dish anywhere" tab on the home page. Instead, you have to look it up.   Anyway, I found it.  I'm getting off of here and off of anything I can't do on my phone for the night.   














No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...