Thursday, March 23, 2023

 So - I got everything hooked up. Went to the pedestal, stripped the lines to be attached and then saw something I hadn't seen before.  I huge ground wire.  It was near the bottom of the panel where the connections are, hence the reason I didn't see it.  

That threw me into a conundrum.  I don't claim to be an electrician and therefore, I started looking up videos on how to do the power service to the "sub panel", apparently is what it's called.  

From what I could gather, it's not good enough to just have ground rods at the shed - which I do have installed.  From what I could understand, if something goes south on any connection, say one comes loose and touches metal - the main meter won't shut off.  That may be true, but I don't need the main meter to shut off, I need the sub panel meter, 125 amp, to shut off.  

I didn't really know for sure, so I texted the electrician - while putting the panel back on.  No need to continue on with this until I know for sure what I need to do.  I'm not risking anything. 

He did reply back pretty quick tho.  "Honestly? I'd do both", referring to grounding the shed to it's own rods and running the ground wire from the pedestal to the shed.  I'm fully prepared at this point to go rent a trenching machine, dig out 155 feet of trench, lay the ground and get it done. 

However, I did ask him to come look at the setup, I'd be willing to pay for the privilege.  Might as well if he can get out soon.  He said he could come out tomorrow morning before the rain starts, text him when I'm there.  Okay? I'll be there at 8:00 am, then, so he has plenty of time to get over there from whatever else he is doing.  I almost fear what he's going to say about the setup, but, I'm willing to change whatever needs to be change if such is the case.  

Regardless, unless he says something different, it will be next week before I get that done.  It's going to rain tomorrow, which is Friday, the rental place is only opened half day on Saturdays, closed on Sundays and 48% chance of rain on Sunday as well.  A trencher "should" cost significantly less to rent than a mini-ex, but regardless, I really only want it for 4 hours worth, that's all it should take.  I think.

I have never operated one.  It's pretty simple stuff though. You set the thing at whatever depth you want and it does the rest.  Go a foot deep - if even that - and call it good.  I will have to hand dig down to the bottom of the pedestal again to run the wire to the lug inside the panel.  

Shrugs shoulders.  It is what it is, I'll have the peace of mind that my setup is good without having to wonder if I'm going to burn the park down, lmao.  It sucks that I have to continue to wait to get this portion of the project done and move on.  I will divert my attention to mowing grass tomorrow instead.

Well, after all of that, I left.  Halfway up my street back to the highway, I saw a diesel pickup pulling a 5th wheel trailer.  I knew I wasn't expecting anyone today, the square dancers are showing up tomorrow.  All 3 lots worth. I thought, well maybe they're going to that Sojourners camp down the road further? But I had this feeling....so I turned around and sure enough, they pulled into my driveway.  

I got in there and they said they were square dancers coming in for the weekend.  Nope. I fired up the laptop after a bit of confusion as to what was going on and found that they had, indeed, rented the space - starting tomorrow.  Fortunately for them, it is empty today.  So, I checked them in, offered to help them level the trailer, they declined and said their automatic levelers would do it, I still offered some boards for him to pull the trailer up on, he declined that.  Gave me his credit card, I went back to the shed, ran it, charged them the 4 nights, came back and saw the trailer unlevel.

I didn't offer again, but after seeing how he was setting it up? They don't know what they're doing.  I mean, I tried, that's all I can say. I can get any trailer coming in there level, that's a fact.  But if they don't want the help, they don't want the help.  He admitted this was only their second trip. I'll check in with them tomorrow, if it's still visibly slanted all I can do is offer to help.  

______________

A lot happened since I wrote the above.  But it's inter-family stuff and I don't feel it right to speak about that on the world wide web.  It wasn't me, I can say that, but it was disruptive. I went to the movies with a friend so I missed the fireworks, thankfully.  That's about all I can say about that for now.  

I'm getting up early.  I'll be out at the property by 7:30 or so.  I want to be there if this electrician will actually show up.  I'm certainly going to contact him as he instructed to let him know I'm there and waiting....

G'nite. 

No comments:

 Wednesday - 10:00 am Yes folks, I am just now climbing out of bed and drinking my morning coffee.  Why? Because I can, agenda for the day b...